No surprise: Lions nd way to lose

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) – Two bad NFL teams needed overtime to determine which was worse yesterday.

Bill Gramatica kicked a 42-yard field goal with 10:48 left in overtime as the Arizona Cardinals snapped a six-game losing streak with a 23-20 victory over the Detroit Lions, who lost their fifth consecutive game overall and 15th straight on the road.

Gramatica also had field goals of 29 and 41 yards. The 41-yarder tied the game 20-20 with 3:20 in regulation. The Cardinals (5-8) never led until his final field goal.

The game was the 21st this season to go to overtime, tying the 1995 league record.

Yankees’ proposal forces Stanton out

NEW YORK (AP) – Mike Stanton was starting a weekend snowboarding in the Adirondacks when his phone rang.

The New York Yankees, the team he helped to three World Series titles and four AL pennants in six seasons, had called his agent at 5:15 p.m. Friday with an ultimatum: Accept a $4.6 million, two-year contract in the next 15 minutes or be cut loose.

New York made identical offers to Stanton and two other free agent left-handed relievers: Chris Hammond and Mark Guthrie. First one to accept gets it.

Stanton didn’t even bother to respond, and his career with the Yankees came to an end when Saturday’s midnight deadline passed for free agents to re-sign with their former clubs. Hammond’s agent and New York then started working on a two-year contract for about $5 million.

“I don’t think I’ve done anything to take a pay cut,” Stanton said. “The way they rang it down, it was a shock.”