Hanson kicks Lions by Emmitt, Cowboys

DETROIT (AP) – The Detroit Lions aren’t a great team by any means, but at home they’ve been good enough to already surpass last year’s victory total. Jason Hanson kicked his third field goal from 43 yards out with 48 seconds left to help the Lions defeat the Dallas Cowboys 9-7 yesterday.

“We’ve got three-game winning streak at home, and that’s a big statement these players have made,” Detroit coach Marty Mornhinweg said.

The Lions (3-5) have lost all 12 of the road games they’ve played under Mornhinweg, but at Ford Field, they’ve beaten New Orleans, Chicago and now the Cowboys (3-6).

Joey Harrington, Detroit’s rookie quarterback, struggled for much of the game, but he completed his longest pass of the day – a 13-yarder to James Stewart – on fourth-and-3 from the Dallas 43 to keep the game-winning drive going.

Harrington completed 3 of 4 passes on the drive, which began on the Lions 37, and Stewart ran four times to set up the field goal.

“I don’t want the game to come down to me – we want to win by a touchdown or two – but I always tell myself to be prepared,” Hanson said.

Kenyans sweep at chilly NYC Marathon

NEW YORK (AP) – About 10 miles into the New York City Marathon, Marla Runyan and European champion Maria Guida crossed paths, bumping and stumbling a bit.

A short while later, Guida dropped out. Not the legally blind Runyan, who never had run a marathon until yesterday. She kept going, her fluid strides leading to the top U.S. finish – fifth overall behind women’s winner Joyce Chepchumba of Kenya.

“I’m very pleased with how I did,” said Runyan, the first Paralympian to compete at an Olympics. “You never know if you prepared properly, how the weather will affect you, how the distance will affect you.”

With temperatures in the 40s and a slight headwind, Boston Marathon champion Rodgers Rop overcame pain in his side to finish in 2 hours, 8 minutes, 7 seconds, helping Kenya gain its first sweep of the men’s and women’s titles.

Christopher Cheboiboch (2:08:17) – also second in Boston – and Laban Kipkemboi (2:08:39) gave Kenya the first 1-2-3 men’s finish for a country since the United States did it in 1975.

New York nominated to host 2012 Olympics

NEW YORK (AP) – Now that New York has won the U.S. nomination to host the 2012 Summer Olympics, it has to convince the world it’s the best choice.

New York will have to convince the IOC that it can build $904 million worth of fields, courts and arenas and an estimated $5 billion worth of new subways, housing and a stadium on Manhattan’s West Side.