Walk-on player dies during conditioning

DeKALB, Ill. (AP) A student trying out for the Northern Illinois University football team died Friday after collapsing during conditioning drills.

Jawan Jackson, of the Chicago suburb of Robbins, was running sprints with the football team when he fell to one knee around 6:55 a.m. at the Northern Illinois student recreation center, the university said.

He collapsed while athletic trainers were tending to him and they immediately tried to resuscitate him before calling paramedics, according to the university statement.

Jackson, a 19-year-old freshman, was taken to Kishwaukee Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 7:40 a.m.

“He appeared to be a healthy young man who was in fairly good shape,” DeKalb County Coroner Dennis Miller said.

“We require that any athlete trying out for a sport sign a certificate that indicates they have had a physical exam and are able to participate in tryouts, and he had done so,”” Northern Illinois spokeswoman Melanie Magara said of Jackson.

Crouch not Heisman-like in Hula Bowl win

WAILUKU, Hawaii (AP) Nick Rolovich threw three touchdown passes in the first half to lead the South to a 45-28 victory over the North in the Hula Bowl on Saturday.

The Hawaii quarterback won the South MVP award while outshining the other All-Stars, including Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch of Nebraska, who was 4-of-11 for 45 yards and three interceptions.

The All-Star game at War Memorial Stadium in Maui closed the college football season. It also was the final college game for Steve Spurrier, who resigned at Florida and was hired as coach of the Washington Redskins. Spurrier was an assistant South coach, under Oklahoma”s Bob Stoops, a former Florida assistant.

Verron Haynes of Georgia led the South”s ground attack, rushing for 84 yards and a touchdown.

The South dominated the entire game, taking a 28-7 lead in the first half, capitalizing on five North turnovers and running up 308 yards on offense. Haynes got the scoring going in the first quarter with a three-yard plunge.

The 45 points by the South was the highest output since 1968.

Rolovich went on to complete 9 of 17 passes for 163 yards and three touchdowns in the first half, including two to Oregon tight end Justin Peelle. He finished with 171 yards on 10-of-18 passing.

Georgia Tech bios cause new problems

ATLANTA (AP) Rick Smith was forced to resign as Georgia Tech”s defensive coordinator after a committee concluded he misrepresented himself in his media guide profile.

Smith, hired last month by new coach Chan Gailey, admitted Monday he never played on the football and baseball teams at Florida State, as his profile said. He offered his resignation Friday.

“You don”t want to bring anyone in where they don”t have a wide base of support from the faculty, the students and the alumni,” said Bill Wepfer, associate chairman of the School of Mechanical Engineering. “There”s a sense that we are in a new era where everything has to be perfect.

“So there was a lot of concern from people in the Georgia Tech community that felt we needed to rise to this new level.”