Gator fans sleep easy as Grossman returns

GAINESVILLE, Fla. Quarterback Rex Grossman handed new Florida coach Ron Zook his first big triumph Friday when he announced he would return to the Gators for his junior season.

“It”s the hardest decision I”ve had to make in my entire life,” Grossman said.

“It was going to be a big decision either way. But I”m glad I”m coming back.”

The Heisman Trophy runner-up will have receiver Taylor Jacobs to throw to. Jacobs, a senior next season, also said he would return.

Neither Grossman nor Taylor were considering leaving before Spurrier”s unexpected resignation last week.

Berlin to join Miami after leaving Florida

SHREVEPORT, La. Brock Berlin, the Florida quarterback who rode the bench most of the last two seasons behind fellow sophomore Rex Grossman, said Thursday night he is transferring to the University of Miami.

“I”ve decided to leave the University of Florida and head down to the University of Miami,” Berlin said at a hastily called news conference in his hometown. “I just wanted to make sure I was making the right choice. I felt good about it. I was looking for the best situation for me.”

The announcement wasn”t unexpected, but the timing was. Berlin had said earlier that he would make the decision soon after Florida played Maryland in the Orange Bowl on Jan. 2.

But all decisions were put on hold when coach Steve Spurrier unexpectedly resigned last week.

Duckett leads class of underclassmen to NFL

EAST LANSING (AP) T.J. Duckett, Michigan State”s fifth-leading career rusher, is skipping his senior season to enter the NFL draft.

The 6-foot-1, 250-pound running back ran for 1,420 yards and 12 touchdowns as a junior for the 7-5 Spartans. In three seasons, he rushed for 3,379 yards.

“The time has come for me to move on,” Duckett said at a news conference last week.

Other big names to make their official entrance into the NFL draft on Friday were William Green (Boston College), Julius Peppers (North Carolina), Jabar Gaffney (Florida), Antonio Bryant (Pittsburgh), Jerramy Stevens (Washington), Luke Staley (Brigham Young), Clinton Portis (Miami-FL) and Roy Williams (Oklahoma).

No. 3 Agassi pulls out of Australian Open

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) Andre Agassi”s bid for a third straight Australian Open title ended when he withdrew from the year”s first Grand Slam event because of a wrist injury.

The announcement yesterday by the organizers came just hours before the tournament was to begin.

Agassi won this event in 2000 and 2001 and was in position to become the first man to win three consecutive Australian Opens since Roy Emerson.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.