Former Red Wing, Fetisov makes HOF

TORONTO (AP) Viacheslav Fetisov, Mike Gartner, Dale Hawerchuk and Jari Kurri represent one of the most impressive slates of Hockey Hall of Fame inductees in recent memory.

Pittsburgh general manager Craig Patrick enters in the builder category Monday night, along with Eric Duhatshek of Calgary for distinguished hockey journalism and longtime Penguins voice Mike Lange for broadcasting.

The additions increase membership to 226 players, 89 builders and 68 media.

Fetisov, 43, joins Vladislav Tretiak as the only Russians in the hall. Fetisov, an assistant coach with the New Jersey Devils, will coach the Russian team at the 2002 Winter Olympics. He helped the Soviet Union win two Olympic titles and six world championships, and was considered by many to be the best defenseman in the world in the 1980s.

He joined the Devils in 1989 after barriers to pro hockey fell in his homeland, and helped the Detroit Red Wings win the Stanley Cup in 1997 and in 1998.

“I”ve learned a lot about Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay and Maurice Richard,”” Fetisov said. “To be in the same category and mentioned with them is a great, great, great achievement for me and a great honor.””

U.S. qualifies to play in 2002 World Cup

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad (AP) With qualifying over, the U.S. soccer team turned its attention to the World Cup draw on Dec. 1 and to next year”s tournament in Japan and South Korea.

“Now we can get on with the business of preparing for the World Cup,” U.S. coach Bruce Arena said yesterday after the Americans, their berth already secure, completed qualifying with a scoreless tie against Trinidad and Tobago.

“Obviously, the conditions were difficult out there with the heat and the humidity,” Arena said. “It was a pretty even game. I think the result was fair for both teams.”

The Americans clinched their fourth straight trip to the World Cup on Oct. 7 when they beat Jamaica 2-1 at Foxboro, Mass., as Trinidad upset Honduras and Mexico was held to a tie by Costa Rica.

At this same stadium 12 years ago, the United States qualified for its first World Cup in 40 years, winning 1-0 on a 30-yard, 30th-minute goal by Paul Caligiuri, who retired from professional soccer on Oct. 27.

The game drew just 5,000 to Hasley Crawford Stadium and helped raise money for Marvin Lee, a Trinidad and Tobago player who was paralyzed from the neck down following an on-field collision against the United States on March 20 in a qualifier for the FIFA World Under-20 Championship.

Jordan declares his worst shooting night

WASHINGTON (AP) Michael Jordan missed his first 14 shots on the way to his first four-game losing streak in 11 1/2 years. By the end of the game, all he could do was laugh at his own misery.

Jordan scored a season-low 16 points making just five of 26 shots as the Washington Wizards lost to the Seattle SuperSonics 99-84 Sunday.

“It was probably one of the worst shooting nights I”ve had in my career,” Jordan said. “I had great shots.”

Among Jordan”s misses were an easy alley-oop, which he decided not to dunk, two reverse layups, and an open jumper that Brent Barry practically dared him to shoot. When Jordan made his first field goal, a tip-in with 4:17 remaining in the third quarter, the fans gave him a long standing ovation.

By the fourth quarter, Jordan was shaking his head and laughing as his own shooting and his teammates” assorted bloopers. He saved his serious words for official Leroy Richardson, who gave Jordan a technical with 19 seconds to play.