Marlins exec will be Tigers” new president

DETROIT (AP) The Detroit Tigers are expected to hire Florida Marlins executive Dave Dombrowski as president, a source close to the situation told The Associated Press on Sunday.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, also said Tigers general manager Randy Smith and manager Phil Garner would keep their jobs. Both have two years remaining on their contracts.

The announcement is expected early this week.

“We may have some things to say tomorrow,” Dombrowski said in a telephone interview from his Florida home last night. “Anything I would say tonight would be preliminary.”

Steve Copses, a spokesman for the Marlins, said the team would have no comment.

Dombrowski, the Marlins” president and general manager, would be replacing Tigers owner Mike Ilitch, who appointed himself team president when John McHale left the Tigers for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Dombrowski was a candidate for similar positions in Toronto and Texas. The Rangers decided to hire former Cleveland executive John Hart.

Dombrowski is widely regarded as one of baseball”s top executives. He has two years left on a five-year, $5 million contract, but owner John Henry gave him permission to talk to the Rangers and Blue Jays.

Weir wins PGA finale in four-man playoff

HOUSTON (AP) Mike Weir sure knows how to finish off the year in style.

In a thrilling conclusion to the PGA Tour season, Weir holed a five-foot birdie putt to win the Tour Championship on the first hole of a four-man playoff Sunday, giving the Canadian his first victory of the season.

It was the second straight year Weir won the final official event of the PGA Tour. A year ago, he surged past a world-class field at Valderrama to win the American Express Championship.

This one was even sweeter.

Weir, the first foreign player to win the Tour Championship, closed with a 67 and wound up in the playoff with hard-charging Ernie Els, the theatrical Sergio Garcia and PGA champion David Toms.

Only Weir and Toms hit the fairway with their tee shots and only Weir had a decent shot at birdie.

He ended it quickly.

Els, desperate to keep alive his streak of at least one victory on the PGA Tour every year since 1994, was seemingly stuck behind the trees down the 18th fairway in the playoff when he hit over the branches to about 40 feet.

His birdie putt grazed the right edge of the cup.

Kenyan triumphs in New York marathon

NEW YORK (AP) Tesfaye Jifar won the New York City Marathon in record time yesterday, pulling away from his lone challenger with three miles left in a race dedicated to victims of Sept. 11.

Jifar ran the 26.2 miles in 2 hours, 7 minutes, 43 seconds to become the first Ethiopian to win the race. He broke the 12-year-old mark of 2:08:01 set by Tanzania”s Juma Ikangaa.

The women”s winner also set a race record. Margaret Okayo of Kenya won in 2:24:21, trimming 19 seconds off the mark set by Australia”s Lisa Ondieki in 1992.