MEN’S TENNIS

Maravic serves up clinching victory

A fist pump and sigh of relief from senior Matko Maravic sealed a weekend in which the captain of the Michigan men’s tennis team led his squad to a solid return after losing to No. 1 Virginia last week.

With the score 3-2 in favor of No. 18 Michigan Sunday against Vanderbilt, Maravic had a feeling his match was taking on a greater importance.

“I felt an energy shift when everyone came over to watch,” Maravic said.

ALEX MANN

WATER POLO

Trip west unkind for young squad

It may have been 70 degrees in Palo Alto, Calif., for the Stanford Invitational this weekend, but the Wolverines were left out in the cold.

Facing four of the top 10 women’s water polo squads in the country, Michigan came up empty in the win column. The Wolverines were trounced 16-0 by No.1 and three-time defending National Champion UCLA and followed up the shutout with another brutal loss, falling 13-5 to No. 7 San Jose State.

The second day offered closer scores, but two more losses as Michigan fell to No. 4 Hawaii, 9-8 and No. 10 Arizona State, 9-6.

RYAN KARTJE

MEN’S TRACK

Switzer impresses in “Meyo Mile”

Michigan junior Justin Switzer slashed three seconds off his personal-best time in the “Meyo Mile” and was one of three Wolverines to post NCAA provisional times at the Meyo Invitational in South Bend, Ind. this weekend.

Switzer’s time (4:03) earned him 10th place in the race. The Meyo Mile pinned the nation’s top distance runners against each other and is known as one of the most competitive individual competitions of the season. Thirty-four runners competed in the race, three finished with sub-four-minute miles and seven notched provisional times.

MACKENZIE MELVIN

WOMEN’S TRACK

Ofili and Co. notch record time

Senior Nicole Edwards and junior Tiffany Ofili could not have run faster out of the cold weather.

A four-year member of the 4,000-meter distance medley relay (DMR), Edwards anchored her team in the mile for a victory at Notre Dame’s Meyo Invitational. In Edwards’s career, her DMR at the Invitational has given her a reason to smile. Each season, her team has posted an NCAA qualifying time.

But this year, the race proved to be anything but ordinary.

The Wolverines shattered their own 2007 DMR course record by three seconds Friday at the Loftus Center and recorded the fastest time in the nation this season (11:01:51). The victory gave Michigan one of its five first-place finishes in the two-day, 24-event non-scoring invitational.

RUTH LINCOLN

MEN’S GYMNASTICS

‘M’ gymnasts falter in U.S. meet

LAS VEGAS – For Winter Cup preliminaries last Thursday, the crowd at the Las Vegas Sports Center was small and relaxed, as gymnasts from all over the country, including four Wolverines, fought tooth and nail for a spot in Saturday night’s finals.

That all changed Saturday night. With seven Senior National Team spots at stake, gymnastics fans mobbed the entrance and rushed to grab seats as soon as the doors opened – two hours before the competition.

“This is the first time I’ve ever seen, when they let people in, they were actually running in to their seats,” Michigan assistant coach Scott Vetere said.

COLT ROSENSWEIG