Rose loses 250K in jewelry at Milwaukee

MILWAUKEE (AP) Cash and jewelry totaling as much as $250,000 were stolen from former Michigan basketball player Jalen Rose of the Indiana Pacers during a game at the Bradley Center, police said.

Custom jewelry worth between $200,000 and $250,000 was later found under some seats at the arena and returned to the star guard, but more than $2,000 in cash remained missing yesterday, Lt. John Andrews said.

Police said Rose and the rest of the Pacers had given their money and jewelry to an attendant before the game with the Milwaukee Bucks on Saturday night. The others got their valuables back without any problems.

Suns” Robinson caught driving drunk with pot

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) Clifford Robinson of the Phoenix Suns was arrested yesterday on charges of driving under the influence and marijuana possession.

Robinson was driving 55 mph in a 40 mph zone and weaving in and out of lanes about 1:30 a.m., police spokesman Scott Reed said.

“There was the odor of alcohol coming from his car and his eyes were watery and bloodshot,” Reed said.

The player was released about three hours after he was picked up.

Robinson initially refused to get out of his car and twice refused a field sobriety test, Reed said. He later submitted to a blood test but his blood-alcohol level will not be known for several days.

Officers also found a small foil packet of what they believed to be marijuana and a pipe, Reed said. The marijuana possession charge was pending, awaiting lab verification of the substance.

Stone Cold: XFL stuns the competition

NEW YORK (AP) The XFL and NBC must be X-cited about the TV rating for the fledgling football league”s debut broadcast.

Mixing guerrilla television tactics and salacious shots of scantily clad cheerleaders with mediocre on-field action, the XFL”s inaugural broadcast drew a preliminary overnight rating of 10.3 with a 17 share.

That means an average of 10.3 percent of TV homes in the United States were tuned in at any given moment Saturday night for the game between the Las Vegas Outlaws and the New York/New Jersey Hitmen.

The rating gave NBC a prime-time victory over the other networks Saturday and is more than double what advertisers were told to expect for the league.

By comparison, Game 1 of last year”s World Series drew a 14.0 overnight rating on a Saturday night for Fox.

Wizard”s Smith charged with drunken driving

SPRINGFIELD, Va. Washington Wizards forward Michael Smith has been charged with driving while intoxicated, the second team member to be charged with drunken driving in the last 30 days.

A helicopter officer observed Smith driving erratically on Interstate 395 just before 2 a.m. Sunday, said Fairfax County police spokesman Thomas Harrington.

Police pulled over Smith after he exited the highway, and he failed several sobriety tests, Harrington said. Smith also failed a breathalyzer test at the county jail, Harrington said, but he would not release Smith”s blood-alcohol level.

Smith, a Washington native, was charged with assault last month outside a local nightclub. Smith has said he is innocent of those charges.