Pitino to meet with UNLV AD today

LAS VEGAS (AP) UNLV”s president plans to meet with Rick Pitino tomorrow to try to convince the former Boston Celtics coach to take over the university”s basketball program.

President Carol Harter said she and Athletic Director Charles Cavagnaro will talk to Pitino, but that no offer is likely to be made at the meeting.

“I”m looking forward to meeting him and having a good, in-depth conversation,” Harter said. “I want to discuss a lot of things with him and see if we”re on the same page.”

Pitino said last week that he was looking forward to meeting with Harter to see if UNLV is committed to having championship basketball.

Bengals” Akili Smith caught driving drunk

SAN DIEGO (AP) Cincinnati Bengals second-year quarterback Akili Smith was arrested early yesterday in his hometown for investigation of drunken driving.

Smith, the third overall pick in the 1999 draft, was pulled over for driving the wrong way on a one-way street in the downtown Gaslamp Quarter at about 2 a.m., police spokesman Bill Robinson said. Smith told the officer he was looking for friends.

CBA suspends play in effort to sell league

PHOENIX (AP) The Continental Basketball Association temporarily suspended play yesterday, with league owner Isiah Thomas attempting to sell the teams to local groups.

“After a long and exhaustive process, the trustee for the Isiah Thomas blind trust has determined it is in the best interest of all parties concerned to return all CBA teams back to local ownership,” the Phoenix-based league said.

The league”s value plummeted when the NBA decided to operate its own developmental league rather than relying on the CBA, though the NBA extended its partnership through the current season.