South Park Review
Wednesdays at 10 p.m.

South Park season 14 return

Wednesdays, 10 p.m.
Comedy Central

After a five-month hiatus that felt longer, “South Park” is back with the second half of its 14th season. In recent years, episodes have tended to be hit or miss. Fortunately, this was a definite hit — and hopefully a sign of hits to come.

Stan and Kyle find Cartman crying over his realization that he’ll never achieve his lifelong dream: becoming a NASCAR driver, apparently. The only thing stopping him is that he’s not “poor and stupid enough.” But Cartman sets out to make his dream a reality, ingesting Vagisil to induce short term memory loss, adopting a redneck accent and even running over Danica Patrick, along with many spectators on the racetrack.

“South Park” has always tried to tackle real-life issues — such as Facebook and HIV — in its own comedic way. But often, there was an integral piece missing to those lofty episodes: Cartman. Many of the fanbase’s favorite episodes revolve solely around Cartman and his debacles (Scott Tenorman, anyone?). When Cartman doesn’t take a lead role in an episode, something just doesn’t feel right. Watching him act like the stereotypical redneck is testament to Cartman’s ability to make “South Park.” He might be one of the most racist, disgusting and immoral characters on television, but you can’t help but love him.

It’s great to see Cartman finally return to the spotlight of “South Park,” and when he stays there, there is little reason to believe the episode will be anything short of successful. Though the show is not completely dependent upon Cartman’s edgy antics, we can only hope he stays the central character this season.

Rating: 4/5