For many students at the University, having a class in the Dennison building can be an excruciating experience. However, a project currently underway could alleviate some students’ frustration by eliminating some classrooms from Dennison Hall.

In an interview this week, Provost Teresa Sullivan said plans are in the works to renovate the fourth floor of Dennison and convert the floor into office spaces.

The University’s Board of Regents has not yet approved the proposal, but if passed, the renovation will begin as soon as the semester ends and should be completed this summer.

The Graham Environmental Sustainability Institute, the Center for Global Health and the Student Sustainability Initiative will all be located in the new office space. Currently, the three groups are located in temporary or leased spaces that don’t meet their current needs, Sullivan said.

“These places have inadequate space,” Sullivan said, commenting on a visit to the Student Sustainability Initiative. “It had so many students in it I thought we weren’t going to have any oxygen.”

Sullivan said the move would, in the long run, save the University money and improve student’s overall educational experience.

“It won’t hurt the educational program,” she said. “In fact, it will make it better because nobody’s going to have to teach or learn on the fourth floor of Dennison anymore.”

Sullivan added that new classrooms at the Ross School of Business building, Museum of Art and North Quad would compensate for the loss of classrooms at Dennison.

“These classrooms are terrible classrooms; they’re flat, they’re not technology-enhanced; they’re noisy,” Sullivan said of classrooms in Dennison. “We can replace these crummy classrooms with better classrooms.”

Philip Hanlon, vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs, said the plan to move offices to Dennison is part of a larger plan at the University to better use space.

Hanlon said classrooms are now only used 50 percent to 55 percent of the time, and that by eliminating inadequate classrooms, better classrooms would be used more often.