One loss didn’t faze the Michigan softball team.

After splitting the doubleheader with Indiana on Saturday, the 20th-ranked Wolverines (5-1 Big Ten, 24-10 overall) came back with a 7-2 win on Sunday to take two games of the three-game series against Indiana (2-4, 17-17).

Michigan coach Carol Hutchins emphasized the importance of bouncing back from a tough loss, especially since it’s hard to sweep a three-game series. Hutchins was pleased that her team came back Sunday and won in convincing fashion.

And so was junior second baseman Ashley Lane, whose 2-for-4, 4-RBI performance was a significant boost to the offense on Sunday.

“It feels great (to come back and win),” Lane said. “We just played as a team (Sunday), we kind of felt off (Saturday). Things weren’t quite working for us, and (Sunday), we came with a fresh look and we got the job done.”

The Wolverines got on the board early in Sunday’s matchup with an RBI single by Lane in the first inning. And in the third, the Escondido, Calif. native hit a three-run homer to right field to put Michigan up, 4-0.

Along with Lane, sophomore right fielder Lyndsay Doyle highlighted the afternoon, going 3-for-4 with an RBI. Senior first baseman Amanda Chidester added a solo shot in the sixth, and one more run in the seventh to round out the scoring for Michigan.

Hutchins noted that Chidester’s leadership was outstanding over the weekend, and Doyle said Chidester and Lane were integral in the Wolverine offense in the third game of the weekend.

“I think this weekend, both of them together, they just did awesome,” Doyle said. “Any time we were in scoring position, the majority of the time they batted us in, and that’s really key for us to win games.”

While the Wolverine offense was getting back in stride, freshman lefty Haylie Wagner stalled the Hoosier offense with her performance in the circle. With Sunday’s victory, Wagner moved to 17-4 on the season, giving up one earned run on six hits in a full seven innings.

Though Wagner’s efforts may have helped the Wolverines pull out the series win, she struggled in Saturday’s second game when she came in as relief for fellow freshman Sara Driesenga.

Indiana loaded the bases with two outs in the third, and two straight walks by Driesenga forced Hutchins to put in Wagner. But Wagner walked one more, giving the Hoosiers a 3-0 lead heading into the fourth inning.

And in the fifth inning, Wagner gave up two singles before facing Indiana junior infielder Amanda Wagner, who crushed a three-run shot to force Hutchins to make yet another pitching change. She brought in senior lefty Hilary Payne, whose 1.1 innings of work was the most she’s seen all season.

But the lack of offensive production ultimately spelled defeat for Michigan.

“It was a little bit of everything,” Lane said. “We just didn’t have our A-game. We were off on both sides of the field, (and) everything wasn’t clicking for us.”

Hutchins wasn’t impressed with Wagner’s performance in Saturday’s loss but was satisfied with how she came back on Sunday. Lane understands the pressure Wagner has faced all season.

“(Wagner is) a very strong girl,” Lane said. “She keeps her composure, (but) she needs situations like (Saturday’s loss) when things aren’t going her way just to make her stronger and build up her toughness.”

Wagner had an easier time in Saturday’s first game, giving up two runs in 5.1 innings, and her teammates helped her out on offense. Senior shortstop Stephanie Kirkpatrick and Lane hit solo home runs, and Doyle scored on an Indiana error to give the Wolverines a 3-2 victory.