It was just another day at the office for the Michigan softball team.

The 20th-ranked Wolverines wrapped up their five-game home stand on Wednesday with a 12-2 win over Bowling Green (15-10). With a five-run explosion in the second inning, Michigan (3-0 Big Ten, 22-9 overall) took control and never looked back.

“I’ve known all along that we’re a capable offensive team,” said Michigan coach Carol Hutchins. “It’s nice to see the entire order swinging their bats.”

After a midseason offensive slump, the Wolverines are back on track in the batter’s box. For the second-straight game, Michigan recorded 13 hits, their season-high, highlighted by senior left fielder Nicole Sappingfield’s walk-off grand slam to end the game via mercy rule in six innings.

“(During) my last at bat, I was just trying to hit the ball hard,” Sappingfield said. “It was a good opportunity to be in that clutch situation and just be able to pull it through for the team.”

There is no question that teamwork has been at the center of the Wolverines’ offensive streak. The team has recorded at least 10 hits in four consecutive games.

Since returning home on March 21, freshmen have being stepping up to make a difference at the plate. Most notably, Big Ten Freshman of the Week catcher Lauren Sweet went 6-for-8 and scored four runs in three games last weekend against Penn State, adding a hit and two runs on Wednesday.

Freshman right-hander Sara Driesenga had two hits and two RBIs, and junior shortstop Amy Knapp hit a home run — her third of the season.

“I think our offense is really starting to turn around,” Sappingfield said. “We’ve been practicing well, and it’s really just taking what we’ve done in practice and putting it into the game.”

On the mound, Driesenga allowed only three hits, while striking out four.

But it was not all fun and games for Driesenga.

Halfway through the second inning, Hutchins met with Driesenga on the mound after she allowed a double to center field that brought in a Bowling Green run.

“(Driesenga) has to bring her bullpen (mindset) out there with her,” Hutchins said. “That’s what I went out to the mound to tell her. She was getting behind a lot, and she needed to make adjustments to get ahead of hitters and command them.”

The freshman rebounded well, striking out a batter in three of the next four innings to keep the Wolverines’ lead out of reach.

“(Driesenga) had some good moments,” Hutchins said. “We’re trying to get her to be consistent in every inning. Sometimes you take a few steps forward and (then) you take a step back. We think she’s got it and we just have to keep working (at) it.”