After some uncertainty, the candidates in this year’s gubernatorial election — incumbent Republican Gov. Rick Snyder and his Democratic challenger Mark Schauer — will meet at least once to debate before the Nov. 4 election.

The debate, which will be held in a town hall format at 6 p.m. Oct. 12, was announced Monday evening. Hosted by the Detroit Free Press, the Detroit News and Detroit Public Television, it will be broadcasted live on Detroit Public TV.

Questions will come from an audience of undecided voters pre-selected by polling companies employed by the two newspapers and from co-moderators Stephen Henderson, Detroit Free Press editorial page editor, and Nolan Finley, Detroit News editorial page editor. The event will be hosted by Christy McDonald, Detroit Public TV anchor.

In a statement Monday evening, Dianne Byrum, debate negotiator for the Schauer campaign, said the campaign was excited for voters to have the opportunity to see Schauer and Snyder side-by-side.

“Mark will share his vision of a building an economy that works for everyone, not just those at the top, and the governor should be prepared to defend his record over the past four years,” Byrum said.

It was previously unclear whether there would be any debates at all in the gubernatorial election. A proposed first debate between the two to be hosted by WOOD TV was canceled earlier this month after only Schauer, whose campaign has called for a series of live, televised debates, replied to the invitation. Schauer and Snyder have also been unable to find a common time to appear at the Detroit Economic Club, a popular forum for gubernatorial candidates. Both accepted invitations to speak at the club at the same day, but at different times.

“The ball is in Congressman Schauer’s court,” wrote Emily Benavides, Snyder campaign communications director, in a statement earlier this month in regards to the DEC event. “We look forward to discussing the issues facing Michiganders and are proud of our record.”

Along with the newly announced debate, the Snyder campaign announced last week a series of town halls to be held with the governor and undecided voters all around Michigan, starting next week in Kalamazoo.

In a press release, Snyder said the town halls were a way to communicate with voters about Michigan’s progress over the past four years and listen to their needs, according to CBS Detroit. In campaign ads and separate public appearances thus far, the main point of contention between the two campaigns has been that progress and whether the state and its economy is on the “road to recovery,” as Snyder has repeatedly said it is.

Schauer has criticized Snyder over aspects of his record including cuts to education funding, reductions to tax exemptions on retirement income and changes to property tax credits, all of which he has said aren’t productive towards building the economy. Snyder has touted a streak of balanced state budgets during his tenure, a lowered unemployment rate and varied efforts towards job creation as proof of positive impact.

These are all issues that have figured prominently into the campaigns thus far and could come up in the town hall debate.

The Schauer campaign has also accepted several more invitations to debate from groups including WXYZ, CBS Detroit and Michigan Public Television. Thus far, October’s debate is the only one scheduled.