The gun sounded, and it was clear. The race was Michigan’s to own from the beginning as junior sprinter Cindy Ofili and fifth-year hurdler Amber Smith exploded off of the starting line.

The Michigan women’s track and field team hosted the Simmons-Harvey Invitational on Saturday, with Ofili and Smith taking control of the 60-meter hurdles in convincing fashion, finishing first and second, respectively.

The success of both runners is impressive, but not unexpected.

“(Our relationship is) very competitive, but very motivating as well,” Smith said. “Not many people can say they get to train with an All-American every day at practice. For me, that’s been helpful, and because of my competitive spirit, I know it’s been helpful for her. It’s definitely fun, and I enjoy it.”

It’s clear that the teammates have a symbiotic relationship, and Smith explained that each uses her strengths to make the other better. This carries over to meets, when the teammates try their best and leave their feelings out of it when one finishes ahead of the other.

The partnership hasn’t gone unnoticed by their coaches. Michigan coach James Henry explained that they work together in practice to correct starting problems, adjust techniques and to keep each other focused.

“They’re very close, friendly rivals,” Henry said. “They’re great partners, in that Cindy is going to push Amber to (be successful). There’s no excuses. They work very hard. They find every reason why they should improve. (I expect) them to take each other’s weakness and fight through that.”

And though the two shared triumphs together on Saturday, they also exhibited their individual talents.

Smith contributed to the 4×400-meter relay team that finished third with a time of 3:51.42.

In addition, Ofili finished first in both the 60-meter and 200-meter dashes, with times of 7.54 and 24.90, respectively. The junior sprinter has been commanding the track consistently to start the season, finishing first in all six of the races that she has competed in so far.

“The team (keeps me focused),” Ofili said. “Running for them, knowing that overall I’m running to do well for my team. The thing that helps me the most is God; I remember that he’s blessed me with such a gift. I use that as motivation.”

Ofili elaborated that Smith has been a specific and constant source of motivation who has helped push her to perform well in races.

Though it’s early in the season, Smith and Ofili’s success is encouraging for the team as a whole. The two runners will be working together to prepare for their meet on Jan. 31 against Michigan State, and at this rate, there’s no telling what they can do.