The injection of ludicrous amounts of pop into society, hard rock crawled into a closet and waited. The teen”s who spent allowances on boy bands taste is changing and harder acts are now starting to sell again. Despite this paradigm shift, pockets of fans remained loyal through teen-pop”s sunshine, clinging to groups like Pantera and Metallica. Just ask Slither, a self-described hardcore/heavy metal/rock band whose four members united over a year ago because of their love for the hardcore and distaste for choreography.

With their demo CD in hand, Slither has taken local venues like Dude”s Billiards and the I-Rock by storm and enticed their audience with deafening beats that hardcore fans cherish. “Our shows are complete entertainment,” described bassist and Engineering junior Nick Morley. “You don”t just listen to the music, you watch us play it.” Guitarist Brandon Harvey added, “It”s a good, high energy performance.” Drummer Sebastian “Sebo” Boada agreed, saying “We try to give 200 percent at every show. We figure, since the fans are there for us, we should be there for them twofold.” And be there they are, encouraging mosh pits and letting fans rush the stage at any chance they get. At Slither shows, the fans are in charge, and they definitely know what to do with the authority.

The usual setlist for any hardcore show is, well, hardcore, but Slither tries to do something a little different. They keep the hardcore, and “throw the groove in the middle,” according to vocalist Keith Gillrie. “We try to keep it flowing through the whole set.” Boada also said that, “we open with a favorite, follow with the usual “meat,” and then finish with the best songs to leave a lasting impression.” A lasting impression? You”ll walk away from a show covered in (someone else”s) sweat and eardrums that ring for weeks, all in the name of hardcore.

Slither stays true to many things on their demo CD and even during their shows, namely their fans and their combined love for the type of music that brought the musicians together. “We”re original, we don”t copy,” said bassist Nick Morley. Sebastian Boada explained, “We”re doing our own thing. We”ve always been about being different and original. We”re very thankful for everything that has come our way and all the people that have supported us.” And Keith Gillrie pulled it all together by saying, “We”re gonna try as hard as we can to stay true to the music we want to play.”

But the final words came from Harvey. “If you”re looking for a new, unique style of metal, check us out at Token Lounge this Sunday.” What other reason do you need to enjoy a Slither show? “Meaty” setlists, free demo CDs, and a personal invite from the guitarist with a bright orange beard should be enough for anyone, even the Backstreet Boys.