A decade before Gordon Gekko taught us that “greed is good” in 1987’s “Wall Street,” the infamous “me”-centric mantra was already a way of life for many a coke-addled disco clubber. Destroyer chief Dan Bejar taps into late-’70s excess seamlessly on the title track from his new album, Kaputt, locking in a smoldering two-chord groove over six minutes of sexy overproduction. A dreamy throwback to the late-disco likes of Bryan Ferry or Hall & Oates, “Kaputt” captures the era perfectly and with enough headroom to fit in among chillwavers 30 years later. This music is hip — said without the slightest hint of hipster irony. Williamsburg might actually dance to this stuff.

Destroyer

“Kaputt”
Merge

Skating along with a silky smooth saxophone, ’lude-addled synths and arpeggiating horns, Bejar holds the track in place with carefully manicured guitars that jangle like The Cranberries on cocaine. Wistful and whispery throughout, Bejar’s vocals maintain an arm’s length from the surrounding soul, rounding out powder-inflected notes like the Thin White Duke at his groovy best. However corny as it all might seem on paper, “Kaputt” is a slow-burning boogie with enough texture, personality and panache to stay alive long after the late-night buzz wears off. ’Til then, find that dusty copy of Saturday Night Fever, grab a zoot suit and hit the floor like it’s 1979 with Bejar and co. as the backdrop. Can you dig it?