The Bob Newhart Show: The Complete First Season

20th Century Fox

“The Bob Newhart Show” is classic ’70s comedy at its best. The aptly titled series centers on the personal and professional life of Bob (Bob Newhart), a psychologist who deals with the troubles of his wife Emily (Suzanne Pleshette), his patients and friends (including Bill Daily of “I Dream of Jeannie” fame).

The 24 episodes are entertaining and funny. Viewers are thrown right into the thick Bob’s life from the first episode, when Bob must teach his patients and his wife that there is nothing to fear from flying. Bob’s world is almost entirely white-bred, and sometimes the comedy doesn’t conform to current notions of political correctness; sometimes sexist and sometimes it lambastes patriarchic notions that father — or in this case Bob — always knows best. But it is safe to assume that none of the material is intended to offend; these instances, which leave viewers scratching their heads more than anything, are not reflective of the show as a whole.

The DVD set doesn’t feature any extras: There isn’t one deleted scene, promotional spot, audio commentary or documentary. The show itself is the only incentive to buy this three-disc set, and for most who love classic TV or comedy, that should be more than enough.

Show: 3 out of 5 stars

Picture/Sound: 2 out of 5 stars

Features: No Stars