Our fair University flat out sprawls with opportunity. From theater to business to art to political activism, there’s no shortage of it. But where these examples can boast of multiple, consistently productive groups with long histories, in the field of literature publications the waters are significantly choppier.

Jessica Boullion
The staff, hard at work (Courtesy of SHEI Magazine)

Various student groups have attempted, successfully and unsuccessfully, to put together viable outlets for poets, fiction writers, fashionistas, aspiring Lester Bangs, photographers and generally anyone with an opinion and a computer. But recently there has yet to be a magazine-style publication strong enough to hold it all together.

SHEI Magazine, a student-run multicultural lifestyle publication, has the answer.

Founded the winter of 1999, SHEI Magazine first started as an Asian American oriented magazine. Since then, though, it has adopted an all-encompassing aesthetic.

“It’s really reflective of how the staff who work on SHEI have changed with the times,” Phyllis Wong, Art and Design senior and the magazine’s editor in chief, said.

As with many student groups, money is an ongoing issue. Printing costs for an approximately 100 page (full color, mind you) issue can reach as high as $5,000, so fundraising is crucial.

Saturday at 7 p.m. in the Great Lakes Room of Palmer Commons will host the magazine’s annual SHEIFEST, a blitz of all things swank and chic. Tickets are just $7, and it’s also the most convenient place to pick up the $5 mag. Dress code is “dress to impress” and the first 150 people will receive a complementary gift bag.

Student acts will include Dance 2XS, Encore, Element 1 and NVR Flow. DJs Tricksta and Blackout will be spinning, and expect a fabulous fashion show, complete with VIP seating.

SHEI Magazine makes its mark as a legitimate distributor of culture as it relates to the student body. Its visual and creative elements are what distinguish it as a legit publication. Its high-quality, gloss with layouts that are simply spectacular. Spreads range from nanotechnology to fashion trends, and the fact that it’s published just once or twice a year gives the editors plenty of time to put out the best product possible.

“We sort of switched things around this year by releasing a web issue for the fall, as opposed to two print issues,” Wong said. “Our focus has always been putting out the best quality magazine we can.”

The web issue will be launched the day of SHEIFEST.

Because of the magazine’s limitations, the editors tend to focus more on overarching themes and trends rather than specific events. Content is decided through “brainstorming and intermittent revelations,” Shiori Ito, LSA junior and fashion editor, said.

The editors’ focus is on a central theme capable of tying each issue together.

The editors hope to maintain its niche as the one of the only student publications addressing culture, from pop to fashion.

SHEI Magazine needs your support, and SHEIFEST will undoubtedly prove to be terrific entertainment.

Our campus needs publications like this one. Don’t let ’em down.

SHEIFEST
Saturday at 7 p.m.
$7
At the Great Lakes Room at Palmer Commons