If you”ve ever dined at Bursley Residence Hall (the oft-forgotten, rarely visited “Quad of the North”), then you”ve seen him. He”s there for lunch and dinner every day, and is always in the second service line. His presence alone may be considered the reason for Bursley”s domination of campus cafeterias. He is instantly recognizable by the hat which spawned his name, “Sexy Grandpa.” The Daily decided to decipher the secrets of this mysterious figure and unearth the ways of “Sexy.”

The Michigan Daily: Since you are the University”s most popular cafeteria worker, we at the Daily would like to know a little bit about you.

Sexy Grandpa: Well, I started here, I believe it was in September of 1988, and I started as a cook, went to a kitchen cleaner for a short period of time, and January of 1990 is when I started this position out here on the counter serving.

TMD: What made you come to the University, specifically?

SG: Well, it might sound kind of silly, but the design of their football helmets is what fascinated me.

TMD: So are you from the area?

SG: I actually live in Adrian, probably about 42 miles south of here, and I”ve been driving that back and forth. It takes me about an hour, either by pickup or by motorcycle.

TMD: Your truck has a license plate that says “SEXY G?”

SG: That came about probably four years ago. A lot of the students said that I ought to get a plate that said that, and I didn”t know if they”d do it! So I went to the Secretary of State, and talked to them, and then I had it.

TMD: Does the motorcycle have any special plates?

SG: It would if they made them for motorcycles, but they don”t.

TMD: What do you think about the “U-M Burlodge” T-shirts that have your picture on them?

SG: It”s still pretty overwhelming to think that they would even do that. A couple of the Bursley Council people got the first round of the shirts, and they had the solid maize and blue “Michigan Burlodge” with my picture on the back. To my knowledge, they ordered 100 T-shirts to see how they”d pan out, and 50 of them had my picture on them. They said that my T-shirts sold out in an hour and 15 minutes. So, they re-ordered two or three times, and I think they sold around 1,200. Some of our foreign students, they say that I”m not only University known, I”m internationally known too, you could say.

TMD: And they have the yellow shirts this year. Which one do you prefer?

SG: I think I would prefer the blue ones. I still can”t believe it really, it”s quite an honor, really.

TMD: What”s the fun part of the job?

SG: I like it when the pressure”s on. It adds to it, but it”s just serving the students. I guess it”s just my destiny to serve them. Also, when I get this kind of response for the work I do.

TMD: Is there any dish that is more fun to serve?

SG: I guess Chicken Broccoli Bake is my best. It seems to draw a lot of requests. I mean, you can either serve it with rice, or chow mein noodles. I prefer chow mein noodles.

TMD: Is there one dish to be wary of?

SG: Well, I don”t know if I”m at liberty to comment on something like that, but I can”t think of one.

TMD: Obviously, a huge part of your persona is the hat.

SG: This hat has been in operation, it”s been in the system, for probably going on 10 years now.

TMD: So it”s been the same hat since the beginning?

SG: Yes it has.

TMD: Ever worked without the hat?

SG: Well, there”s been a very few times that I”ve been without the hat like this last year when the Diamondbacks took the World Series, out of respect for my son, who got me a Diamondbacks hat. My hat never left the building, it was downstairs in my locker. I got a lot of people asking, “Where”s the hat Gramps? Where”s the hat?” Well, it”s always in the area.

TMD: When did you start getting comments on the hat?

SG: Probably about the second year that I wore it, that was probably about 1991-92. I got about two out of every three or four students would say something like, “Nice hat Gramps, like the hat!”

TMD: Over your long tenure here, what”s been your best memory?

SG: Probably the first Michigan home football game I went to. Since Bursley houses most of the marching band, I asked them how I could get tickets, and they would tell me, “Y”know Gramps, don”t worry about it, you take care of us here, and we”ll take care of you down there.” So I got some tickets from the band.

TMD: Like the student section?

SG: Oh yeah. They like for me to wear the hat down there.

TMD: Favorite Muppet? Any attachment to the Swedish Chef?

SG: The Muppets? I kind of like when Kermit gets into it with the two older guys up in the balcony, I can”t think of their names, but they”d cut up just like I would. They kind of remind me of myself.

TMD: Stones or Beatles?

SG: Beatles.

TMD: All the way?

SG: Yeah.

TMD: What exactly is in the buffalo burgers?

SG: Well, what they say is they”re about 95 percent beef and about 5 percent buffalo.

TMD: Since you”re the Sexy Grandpa, do you have any special plans for Valentine”s Day?

SG: No special plans, but I tend to go out of the way with my grandkids, I like to spoil them. Up here, I get little cards from some of the students just showing their appreciation.

TMD: With the snow now falling, what are your thoughts on traying?

SG: I wouldn”t mind it. I”d almost hand them out if I though they would bring them back. I like to go out and play in the snow myself!

TMD: Lastly, all the men on campus need to know how do you stay sexy?

SG: Well, you had to ask that one, didn”t you? I like to think I”m more of the athletic type, I like to stay pretty much active. I get into a lot of bicycle riding, a lot of benefit riding for MS. I don”t take it serious, I just get in and workout, try to stay healthy.