As the mood on campus plummeted with Notre Dame’s victory over Michigan Saturday, a different scene played out at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market in Kerrytown.

Live music boomed as visitors made their way through rows of booths featuring local food, products and organizations at the seventh annual HomeGrown Festival.

This year’s festival included poetry readings, a songwriting contest and the HomeBrew competition — rewarding regional home brewers who make good use of local ingredients such as jalapeños, honey or backyard-grown hops.

At the Community Farm of Ann Arbor’s booth, Paul Bantle and Anne Elder were selling homemade pickles and honey from the farm’s bees.

The farm has a permanent space at the regularly-scheduled farmers markets on Wednesdays and Saturdays, but Bantle said the HomeGrown festival draws a different crowd: one that’s looking to learn about food instead of just stock up on produce.

“It’s a cultural activity,” Bantle said. “It’s beyond just selling stuff, it’s a celebration of local undertaking.”

Elder said the farm’s festival booth was just as much about teaching visitors about their beekeeping enterprise and farming practices as it was about selling jars of honey and pickles.

Other nighttime activities included a new children’s scavenger hunt that rewarded them with a locally made toy after following clues from booth to booth.

HomeGrown Festival Co-Chair Tina Roselle said planning the festival was a nine-month process completed entirely by volunteers, including a 12-person core committee plus about 200 volunteers the day of the event. Local businesses helped sponsor the festival.

“Folks care,” she said. “People are passionate about local food and about supporting this local celebration.”

LSA senior Chinmay Pandit said while he loves football, he was seeking out a different experience for the night. Though he is a Saturday Farmers Market regular, he said the live music and the focus beyond food drew him to the festival.

Back at the Community Farm’s booth, Elder said a drawback of the night may have been the loud music.

“You can’t hardly hear anybody talking because the music is so loud, so everybody is kind of yelling at each other,” she said. “But everybody seems to be smiling while they’re yelling at each other so I think it must be a good thing.”