Coming off a season-high 20 shot-, four-goal performance over Northeastern, the Michigan men’s soccer team (2-2-0) traveled to Milwaukee, Wisc. looking to pull the upset over No. 17 Marquette (5-0-0) on Friday night.

When the two teams met last season, Marquette left the Wolverines reeling with a goal in double overtime to snatch away a 2-1 victory. This time around, Michigan was looking to return the favor.

But Michigan was unable to redeem itself, and fell 2-1 to Marquette.

The Wolverines looked to be on the offensive from the beginning. Within the first 10 minutes of the game, Michigan won itself two corners and was able to post its first shot on goal by way of freshmen Luke Coulson.

The Wolverines continued to try and take the game to the Golden Eagles but were unable to conjure a goal. Marquette had a chance to go ahead in the 18th minute with a shot from forward Kelmend Islami, but redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Adam Grinwis was able to come through with the save – his only one of the half.

Despite an advantage in every offensive category towards the end of the first half, Michigan had nothing to show for it on the scoreboard. It looked like the teams would enter the half level but the Wolverines were able to inch ahead just 32 seconds before the whistle. Sophomore Tyler Arnone executed a give and go with junior T.J. Roehn and netted the ball near post, giving Arnone his first goal of the season.

But Michigan’s lead was short-lived. The Golden Eagles — known for their execution on set plays — were able to level the score just six minutes into the second half. Off of a corner kick, 6-foot-7 defender Axel Sjoberg proved too big to handle and headed the ball into the back of the net tallying his first goal of the night.

Sjoberg’s second goal came in the 61st minute of the game off yet another set piece. As the corner kick arrived in the box, Marquette had two shots blocked but the ball fell to Sjoberg who back heeled it into the goal giving the Golden Eagles the lead — and ultimately the victory.

The Wolverines committed more men forward after the goal, but were unable to tally an equalizer. Despite a distinct advantage in the shots column — 15-9 — the results column, the column that really matters, read yet another 2-1 loss.

Michigan will look to bounce back quickly from its loss as it plays host to No. 8 Notre Dame on Sunday.