Forty campus sororities and fraternities are hosting their biggest community service project of the year this week in the hopes of raising money for five national and local charities.

LSA freshman Francis Legasse of Sigma Chi and Engineering freshman Justin Myslajek of Pi Kappa Phi duke it out yesterday during State Street Night, a part of the Greek Week festivities.<br><br>DAVID KATZ/Daily

“Greek Week has been an annual event for over 60 years. It”s a 10-day period showcasing thousands of hours of community service, spirited competition and (five) remarkable charitable organizations,” said Corey Fernandez, Greek Week co-director.

Proceeds from the week”s events will go to the Children”s Brittle Bone Foundation, a foundation for the research of treatment for children with osteogenesis the HIV/AIDS Resource Center Parents Together, a group that sponsors a food bank and other general support groups the University”s Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center and Camp Heartland, a camp for children with AIDS.

“We chose to sponsor Camp Heartland because it”s extremely unique. It is the world”s largest camping program for children affected with AIDS, and it allows them to live without the problems of their disease and participate in activities normal children do,” said Chad Fernandez, Greek Week public relations co-chair.

Even though Greek Week, which began Tuesday, lasts only 10 days, the teams of sororities and fraternities have been participating in other events throughout the year, including K-Grams and Dance Marathon, said Corey Fernandez.

Chad Fernandez added that the blood drive is one of the largest events during Greek Week.

“The blood drive is a part of our Greek Week every year. It is extremely significant because 97 percent of the human population will need a blood transfusion at some time during their lives,” he said.

The blood drive will take place throughout the week at the Michigan Union. Students and community members can register online ahead of time.

The Journey of Hope next Monday night is another highlight of Greek Week that community and campus members are encouraged to take part in.

“We have four to six kids that have participated in Camp Heartland and the founder of the camp flying in to speak with everyone about AIDS awareness education and their experiences. It”s always a heartfelt presentation from the kids about how the camp has touched their lives, said Betsy Nichols, Greek Week event chair.

The week will culminate next Thursday evening with a Sing and Variety competition at Hill Auditorium.

“This event is another way the rest of the campus and community can participate in Greek Week. We will have two portions: a sing and dance competition, which are both always really fun to watch,” said Nichols.