While the No. 7 Michigan water polo team came into the weekend with a chance to become the first water polo program in the modern era to reach 300 victories, they had their sights set on chasing an unbeaten week.

“I’m not aware of these (records) until the (Sports Information Director) tells me,” Michigan coach Matt Anderson said. “I think we really just wanted to go undefeated this weekend and getting our 300th victory was just an added bonus.”

Nearing the milestone, Michigan’s perfect weekend was in jeopardy as the team was facing Iona in the last game of the Wolverine Invitational at Canham Natatorium. Leading 4-2 early in the second period, Iona looked like they would give the Wolverines their first loss of the weekend.

But Michigan (19-4) had other ideas. The Wolverines stormed back to take the lead right before the half and didn’t look back. It was only fitting that one day after Senior Night, the seniors were at the forefront of this comeback.

Senior Alison Mantel started the spurt with a goal midway through the second period. Her fellow classmates Lauren Orth, Cara Reitz and Sarah Roberts also netted goals to lead Michigan to a 10-6 victory.

“One of our big goals is remaining undefeated on the East Coast,” senior captain Cara Reitz said. “Ultimately, you have to win eastern’s to make NCAA’s.”

Michigan started off the weekend by dominating CWPA Western Division counterparts Mercyhurst and Gannon.

Against Mercyhurst, the Wolverines displayed a balanced offensive attack. Twelve different players scored goals as Michigan won easily, 16-2.

With only about a 15-minute break, the Wolverines were back in the pool for their second game of the night. Against Gannon, the team was led by sophomore Ryanne O’Donnell, who showcased her scoring prowess by leading the team with a career-high five goals.

Michigan’s busy weekend continued as it hosted the Wolverine Invitational on Saturday and Sunday.

After beating Grove City 14-1 early Saturday, Michigan honored its senior class later that night prior to their game against No. 19 Maryland. The seniors responded with enthusiasm and focus. Mantel and Orth each tallied three goals as they sparked the Wolverines to an 11-4 victory.

“The senior class is great,” O’Donnell said. “I love them. The team next year is going to be so much different without them. The whole dynamic of the team is kind of concentrated on the seniors.”

While the seniors led the way against Maryland, the underclassman on the team wanted to show they could also contribute at an elite level.

In the night cap against Siena, freshman Lauren Dudley led the Wolverines with a game-high four goals, while her fellow classmate Laura Milstead tossed in three.

“It’s great to see our freshman step up,” Anderson said. “Hathaway Moore is injured so everybody has moved up on the depth chart. It’s exciting to see.”

Before their battle with Iona, the Wolverines also beat Marist 12-5.

The Wolverines will now have a couple weeks off before they travel to Bloomington to play rival Indiana.

“That’s the focus of this senior group,” Anderson said. “Regardless of who we’re playing next, we’ve got to play the team we’re playing first, first. That’s why they’ve been successful because they’ve always concentrated on who they were lining up against before thinking about the next game.”