Wednesday marks the last day of print publication for The Michigan Daily for 2014. With that, the seniors bid farewell to their time at 420 Maynard as new editors assume their elected positions today. As per Daily tradition, the goodbyes from the seniors included here reflect on their time at the paper and its impact on their lives — just as it has impacted the 123 classes that came before.

Sierra Brown
Columnist

Dear Michigan Daily,

There are only two things that I wish to leave you with. One, I loved here and two, I regret not
working here longer. I loved the freedom I receive to voice my opinion and enhance my writing skills. I loved the feeling of seeing my work appear in print for the first time, and know that people actually read my work. I loved that I’d see friends or coworkers who were excited for me because my work appeared in print. I loved their joyous responses, which gave me confirmation that my columns were written well. This confirmation, coupled with less and less revisions from the editing staff, gave me a load of confidence. Confidence to keep pushing myself to write because I won’t fail at it These wonderful feelings would’ve never existed without you allowing me the opportunity to write for you. My confidence to write would’ve continued to stem from the letter grades in class. You showed me that people care about things beyond the front page. You proved to me that writing truly is a joy and I hope that my experience with you will open up doors for me in the future. Michigan Daily, I loved our time together and regret not meeting you sooner. I regret always being “too busy” to take on new extracurriculars. I regret not having the opportunity to enhance my writing skills outside of the columnist section. I regret that I wasn’t able to fall in love with you sooner.

Sincerely,

Sierra Brown

Katie Burke
Managing Editor

I’ve been putting this goodbye off forever. Mostly because I haven’t known what to say, and what I could say has already been said. I’ve been thinking about all the anecdotes I could open with or something sappy about the college newspaper experience, but none comes to mind that truly embodies the Daily.

The Daily is a special place to many people, and after three and a half years, I finally understand why.

The Daily is where I grew up. I walked in as a shy freshman trying to balance reporter training and sorority recruitment. I leave as a senior who has spent more time at 420 Maynard Street than would be considered healthy and is relatively unknown to the rest of her sorority. In these three and a half years, I’ve learned to cold call professors, stay up late listening to police scanners and stand up in front of a hundred people answering questions for eight hours straight. To sum up this experience, it’s been insane, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

As I’ve slowly accepted that my time here is coming to an end, I realized what I’m going to miss most are the little things. The certainty of coming in every Sunday through Thursday. Being able to talk about my day with people nice enough to pretend it’s interesting. Coming home when the rest of campus is asleep. Learning way too much about a former managing news editor’s colonoscopy.

I have so many people to thank for this incredible experience. I could go back to the editors who started this newspaper 125 years ago, but I told Peter I’d keep it brief. To Bethany, the editor I did my first ever read with, thank you for introducing me to the Daily and the gov. beat. To Adam, thanks for inspiring me with your enthusiasm and advice, and Alicia, for making those nightsides with Flame some of my favorite memories here. Andrew, in addition to being spooktacular with Tom, you texted me the summer before junior year telling me to aim high, and now I leave here as managing editor, thanks.

Most importantly though, I could not have survived this past year without the people who are just as crazy as I am. Thank you to all the managing section editors, you’re all so talented and have become some of my best friends. Dan, I barely knew who you were when we started these jobs, but you have become my rock and I am forever thankful to you for that, keep it hip. Peter, I couldn’t ask for a better editor in chief to work with — you’re the kindest, hardest working guy I know, and even though you won’t be writing headlines anymore, there’s no doubt in my mind you’ll be making them in a few years. Good luck to next year’s staff — Jen and Lev, I’m so excited to see where you guys take this paper next.

I’ll still be on campus next semester, but the idea of the University of Michigan without the Daily terrifies me. While this goodbye has been the hardest part of my Daily experience, it only reaffirms how worthwhile these past years have been.

P.S. Raj, I’m sorry I called you an invalid.

Eli Cahan
Columnist

Edit board over the past four years has been a bit like a prolonged family get together: many questions, many egos, many voices and even more gossip. Sometimes I would rather be anywhere besides. Sometimes I would prefer nowhere else. Just as bar mitzvahs gave me a chance to dance, schmooze and flirt awkwardly, the Opinion community has helped me discover, develop and air my voice. Awkward at times, no doubt. We all have that viewpoint…

In any case, I have embraced this opportunity to find, and express, myself. My column in particular has been a much needed outlet, and I have treasured the experience. To those who have listened, edited, read, objected, commented and complimented in these years, thank you.

Hillary Crawford
Daily staff reporter

“Oh, so you’re a journalism major?” — the response I receive whenever I describe my
definitely not etched-in-stone future plans. And the answer is always a big fat “NO.” I’m
not a journalism major, I’m a journalist. And I wholeheartedly attribute my ability to say
so to The Michigan Daily.

Being a journalist is an activity in itself, not something you can study from a book. Had I
not joined the Daily, school alone would have never pointed me in the direction I’m now
excitedly treading. The fun bits of knowledge I’ve acquired extend past even 420
Maynard St., as writing has engulfed more of my life than I had originally ever planned. Not
only did I meet the apple of my eye — dear, dear writing — at the Daily, I met some of the
quirkiest people I’ve ever had the opportunity to hang with.

If you can choreograph some real fancy footwork with the same people you work with,
you know it’s good. So good that my SNED and simultaneous partner-in-crime, Rachel Premack, and I are happily roomied. Needless to say, I learned not only from reporting on
important issues, but also from just being around people with whom I could outwardly
share my abundance of enthusiasm and excitement.

It’s rare to find both work and play in the same spot, and for that, I deem the Daily “top-
drawer” on my list. And that experience won’t ever expire in relevancy or memory.

Alexa Dettelbach
Senior Sports Editor

I don’t really know how I wandered into the Daily my freshman year, but I’m glad I did. Being around the sports staff for the last four years has been really special. There are so many people that are crazy talented and I’m just glad I got to watch as they produced content better than most national papers. From softball, to two years of dub hoops and football it has been a hell of a ride. Thank you to everyone who came before me who helped me in countless ways along the way. Thank you to the seniors and juniors who have been part of my time for the past few years. To the football beat: It was a crazy, ridiculous and sometimes laughable experience that I’m sure we’ll never forget. I’m glad we tackled it all together. And to Peter and Katie, there’s no one I would’ve rather had lead us over the past year. The Michigan Daily
is a special place with special people and it was a great home for the past four years.

Carlina Duan
Statement Editor

When I think about leaving, I don’t think immediately of what I’ll be leaving behind, but what I’ll be leaving with. This newsroom really grew on me. Here, I typed on a gray keyboard. Ate chicken sandwiches on Tuesday nights. Blasted electro-pop. Here, too, I headlined. Wrote columns about love and chocolate. Edited stories with a thick purple marker. Here, I produced writing I felt proud of, and I read writing I felt blessed by.

And so now, when I think about leaving — I’m leaving inspired, and I’m leaving very full. I’m leaving with the courage to ask, dig and thrive. I’m leaving knowing how to take care of myself and nourish/challenge the world around me. Despite the seemingly endless moments of frustration, I’m proud of the growth spurts I’ve had in this building. The Daily has constantly urged me to ask questions not only of my community, but also of myself — as journalist, poet, writer, editor, sister, friend, human. So I hope that after leaving, I’ll take what knowledge I’ve learned here into all aspects of my life, and continue to glow up with it.

To my Statement staff — Ruby, Amy, Max, Amrutha: thank you for being endlessly patient with me, for teaching and growing with me and for being a part of 29 stellar issues. I’m so proud of all of you. To Jeremy Chamberlin, who finally convinced me to take this job after I burst into his office in tears; and to Haley Goldberg, who provided the warmest coffee and e-mail advice — thank you for believing I could do this. To Peter Shahin, thank you for being such a wonderful EIC, mentor and friend. To Akshay Seth, I wouldn’t have taken this job if you hadn’t encouraged me with pug-related cartoons; you inspire me. To Teresa Mathew, I love you, and I feel impossibly lucky that you sat with me and cracked good jokes during my many Daily-related freak-outs. Ian Dillingham and Natalie Gadbois, you two (and the future Statement babies!) are going to be superheroes — make us proud. My gratitude especially to Kayla, Meme and Jerus, for creating the Michigan in Color series and trusting me, Ryan, Nour and Teresa with such a powerful and urgent legacy.

And lastly, to my mom, dad and Karen: thanks for getting it, and for being such brilliant, badass roots.

Dan Feldman
Daily Sports Writer

I nearly fell face first over the fence in the side yard of the Betsy Barbour House.

I was running in the rain from C.C. Little to the Daily for a mass meeting. I did not want to be late.

The memory is kind of hazy now of that first meeting, but I came back later that week, signed up to shadow Zach Helfand for a soccer game, and went on to soon write one of the worst men’s golf phone covers in history.

Of course, I wouldn’t learn that till more than a year later when my writing actually improved and I actually had made friends — probably the biggest reason I even joined to begin with.

I don’t know how college would have been if I hadn’t run through the rain that late September day to meet Tim in the newsroom.

I wouldn’t have gotten to cover the men’s basketball team for two years, that’s for sure. Not #DubHoops, either.

But that’s not even important compared to the bigger picture, really. Sure, covering the NBA Draft and the NCAA Tournament was cool. So was Puerto Rico. How we sent two people to cover the tournament there still befuddles me. But the biggest thing I’ll ever take out of the Daily is what Neal told me junior year.

“You’ll never enjoy any other job more than the Daily.”

He’s right. I’m sad to leave the Daily. I’m sad to leave Michigan. I don’t want to graduate.

But just as the people that came before me, I feel prepared to leave. Thank you, Tim, Nez, Flo, Everett, Zach, Liz, Slov for showing me how to get the most out of my Daily experience.

Thanks to Raj (for busting his hump), Jeremy, Shannon and Alexa for helping make my time at the Daily incredibly enjoyable. You each did in your own way.

I’m so excited to see where the Daily goes in the future under the leadership of Max and Jake. You guys are incredible writers and editors, and I know you will make the sports section even better than it is now.

Though the section wouldn’t be where it is currently without Greg and Alejandro — two people that have been involved in my college life than anybody else. Thanks for everything, guys. You truly don’t know the impact you’ve had.

Greg Garno
Managing Sports Editor

The best moments come on Tuesdays sometimes, when it’s 2 a.m. and you’re flinging a tennis ball around the newsroom with Jake and Max atop the table while everyone else fears getting hit.

The best moments can come on a Sunday, when you wake up the new writers, have them jump in the trunk of your car, and take them to Denny’s because “it’s tradition” and because “you always remember these moments.”

The best moments also come on Fridays and Saturdays, when you drive a car full of writers riding through the night to get back to work, who have all fallen asleep. That’s when you finally take the car north of 100 mph.

The best moments are coaching a football team that Friday evening in the fall, when you’ve beaten The State News for the 10th consecutive year, left to watch alone as your team storms the field.

Sometimes the best moments come on Wednesdays, when you stare long enough at your friend to get out of the large, red chair at the sports desk because they know you’d go insane without it.

But the best moments in my life are no longer in the present. They’re coming to an end now, no matter how much I try to stop it.

I owe many of these moments to my parents, who never once flinched when I needed money for the road trips, or needed to cut a holiday break short so I could cover a story. They read my stories when I asked, answered my calls when they wanted to sleep and still never fully understood all that I got out of the Daily. But they did realize, very quickly, that their son didn’t want to be a doctor, a lawyer or a businessman; he wanted to be a sports writer.

And I owe much to the guy who lived five feet away from me. Alejandro also thought it would be worthwhile to spend the best moments of college editing and writing stories. I can’t thank him enough for saving my ass time after time and never complaining.

I owe some of the best moments to David and Dan, who knew, despite not being around enough, I was following my passion.

I owe thanks to Tim, Nez, Everett and Zach for not only building the sports section into something incredible, but setting an example of how to write like a poet.

And thanks to Alexa, Max, Erin and Jeremy for keeping me sane and creating some of my best moments while we covered disappointing teams. To Peter and Katie for being the best bosses, always there when you needed them, and the rest of the sections for their friendship. To Bibber, Alex, Lexi, Lynn and my cats for your support during four years that lacked sleep.

To John Lowe, Red Berenson and Brady Hoke for the lessons they taught, whether they were intentional or not.

My apologies to the Michigan Athletic Communications Department and thanks for tolerating me, even when I angered you many a time.

Most of all, thanks to the Daily Sports Staff for the privilege of leading you for a year and for your patience as I wrote my stories late at night. You’ve let me follow my silly dream whether you knew it or not.

You all let me enjoy the best moments of my life.

Erika Harwood
Senior Arts Editor

At the end of my sophomore year, I convinced myself that I would never have friends at the Daily. I was fine with it. It’s a timeless cliché, but the Daily was horrifying. Going to meetings was terrifying, talking to people was awful, etc. Everyone seemed to have a lot of confidence — at least significantly more than me — and I wanted to get in and out as soon as possible. Yet, I wanted to be an editor, so I sucked it up and embarked on a sweaty and awkward interview with Johnshay (that makes it sound sexual — it was.).

When I heard who else was applying — Natalie, Alec and Drunkcarlo, I didn’t know them. I didn’t even know of them. I ended up running into Drunkcarlo at a party where we were both kind of drunk and thought “this makes sense.” It wasn’t until a couple weeks later that I learned his name was actually “Giancarlo” and the name “Drunkcarlo” had been wishful thinking on my part. The name still stuck.

It was never awkward between us. We went from strangers to best friends who blew up each others phones and watched the winter olympics together under not completely sober conditions. Even though it’s technically been less than a year that we’ve actually known each other, it feels like the Surfboardt crew has been around since the beginning of my college experience.

Thank you for teaching me how to properly say “albeit.” Thank you for ComCo and blacking out in my living room. Thank you for thawing that pie crust with a hairdryer. Thank you for breaking windows. Thank you for listening to “Uptown Funk” roughly 30 million times. Thank you for understanding the cultural relevance of Hilary Duff.

I pray to God I’m able to lose the weight I gained while working with you monsters.

Señor Artz Idiotz for life.

Austen Hufford
Online Editor

The Michigan Daily’s almost-125-year history stands behind everything we do here. It sets the expectations for our work and reminds us to strive to do better. As the Daily continues its progression into a digital-first media organization, I’m reminded that past and future editors have and will face challenges equally as difficult.

The people in this newsroom humble and challenge me everyday. I can’t express enough gratitude for the editors who believed in me and the people who enabled our ideas. I’m constantly impressed by the devotion and talent shown by Daily staffers at every level of the organization.

I learned not only from the journalists in the newsroom but also from the professional staff downstairs and from the business and marketing crews. Over the last two years, the video and social media teams have grown from mere ideas into complete sections with cultures, histories and devoted members. James and Paula, and Brianne, the credit goes to you and your leadership, and to Peter and Katie for giving us the space to create.

More important than the accomplishes and accolades, however, I will always remember most the relationships I’ve built here and the lasting friendships I will take away. Whether we’ve had many newsroom all-nighters together or only had a single conversation, know that your thoughts have impacted me. I only hope that the Daily will change your life as much as it has mine. Thanks for everything.

Jordyn Kay
Editorial Board Member

I didn’t know what I was doing or getting myself into when I came to a mass meeting at the Daily at the beginning of my sophomore year. I wanted to get involved in something and I liked to write and that was the extent of my thought process. I had no idea what section I wanted to join and had very little experience with journalism. Now I have found myself working for not just one section but two. Two years later as I am being forced out, I regret that it took me as long as it did to find this place. The Michigan Daily has given me the opportunity to do something I love. More importantly though, I have met some amazing people and it has been the opportunity to work alongside these people that has had the greatest effect on me. There have been countless nights where I have procrastinated homework and studying by staying at the Daily long after my meetings ended just so I could hang out and be there a little longer. And there have been several nights where I have stayed up in the newsroom until 7 a.m. finishing the work I put off as a result of my wanting to spend time with the people who work here. (Just so you all know, the newsroom is very creepy at 4 a.m. when you are alone and also, the opinion couch is the best for sleeping.) I don’t regret any of it. I found a place where I feel comfortable and I can say with certainty that this will be one of the places I miss most when I am forced to graduate. Thanks to everyone who continually put up with me and let me distract them from their work. This was obviously sent in at the last possible minute because I’m staying true to myself. Please don’t make me leave.

Rajat Khare
Senior Sports Editor

Tim alluded to it in his last meeting, but as a freshman I didn’t fully appreciate what this place, these people, could mean. But after three years at 420 Maynard, I couldn’t agree more.

What makes the Daily truly special is the people it houses. They’re individuals who will find happiness in your happiness, will share in your sorrow, but, more importantly, will selfless extend a hand when you need it most.

Like my two MSE’s who, after spending two sleepless weeks covering the unraveling of Michigan football and a win over State News, still drove me to the emergency room at 1 AM after I tore my ACL. Or my EIC, who after publishing a paper at 3 AM, woke up at 9 AM to drive me to class. Or my two senior ed’s, Lev and Max, who came to my house on Halloween, at 11:30 PM, to drop off a peanut butter jelly sandwich and a bottle of Motrin.

And the beauty of the Daily is that these people aren’t an exception. They’re simply following the trend established by those who came before us.

So thank you, Tim, for setting the bar for us. Without you assigning me the Women’s Field Hockey double-header that Sunday in October, as I sat against the radiator in the conference room, I probably wouldn’t be here. Your continuous encouragement that night, assuring me my interview would come through and guiding me every step of the way, made all the difference.

Nez, first off, thanks for initiating the movement to pronounce my name properly. Thanks also for taking a gamble and making me a night editor. Reading and editing your articles invoked within me an unreal sense of satisfaction and gave me the confidence that I did belong here. The Daily was my second education, and you were my best professor.

Everett and Zach, 3 great years and too many memories to recall. Zach, thank you for the help and guidance beyond 420 Maynard. Rest assured that even beyond my time at Michigan, I’ll keep busting my hump trying to make you proud. Everett, your guys’ last Sunday meeting I’ll never forget. I dug my face into your chest and cried . . . that’s how much it hurt to see you guys leave.

To all the editors who have helped me: Spar, Yossi, Andrew, Slovin, Neal, Wass, Liz, and Katie, thank you. Your extension of help and friendship means more than you know.

Greg, Alejandro, Felds, Alexa, Shannon, and Jeremy, thanks for putting up with me and my edits.

To the youngsters: Jason, Simon, Erin, Jake, Bultman, – everyone really – just continue to do what you’re doing and don’t forget to help each other out along the way. Help others find their happiness, and you’ll find yours – words to live by.

Mom, Dad and Dada, sorry for not responding to the numerous texts and calls the nights I was working. There are certain truths I’m taking away from this place, but one blatantly stands out: I would surely not be here without your love and support.

Jesse Klein
Editorial Board Member

Someone once told me, in one of the numerous Daily meetings, that it is comforting to know that the best job you will ever have, you had when you were 22. At that moment I started feeling nostalgic for the present. And that feeling never went away. But he, whoever he was and I wish I could remember, was right. Being surrounded by goofy, Taylor Swift belting, overly invested in the inner workings of the University and brilliant writers until 2 a.m. is probably the best job I will ever have.

Youth might be wasted on the young but only the young could appreciate the Daily for everything it has to give. The Daily has given me some of my best memories from college. It has given people who never fit in a place to feel at home. It is a place where a bunch of kids not only report the news but play chair monkey in between edits. A place where it is accepted that I take more pride in catching a touchdown to beat The State News than in any of the articles I ever wrote.

Thank you to everyone who made the Daily my home. To Andrew who introduced me to the stimulating frustration that is edit board and, of course, Wagon Wheel. To Zach and Everett for welcoming an opinion sectioner into sports. To all the sports underclassmen who allowed a washed up junior into their ranks. To Dan, who even though I thought he was a freshman still took my advice and applied to be an opinion editor and then succeeded to rise through the ranks to become my boss. I am extremely thankful to have met you all in my 20s. I appreciate all the laughs and conversations that are the highlights of my time in college.

Shannon Lynch
Daily Sports Writer

In my three years at 420 Maynard St., my experience hasn’t really been about the teams I’ve
covered or the stories I’ve written. I stopped writing months ago, and it’s rare to see me at a
meeting on Sunday afternoon. The reasons I love The Michigan Daily are the people I’ve met
there – the ones who started as strangers and role models, who grew into peers and then
into friends. So my goodbye is a thank you, to those who’ve impacted me in ways I don’t
even think they knew about, and to the friends I’m longing to take with me wherever I end
up after leaving Ann Arbor.

This one is long overdue, but to Zach and Everett, thank you for not letting me off the hook.

You both knew my third attempt at a story would be much better than my first, and you pushed me to test the limits I’d unknowingly given myself in my own writing. I started off at the Daily terrified and simultaneously in awe of the two of you, and it was an honor to work side-by-side with both of you – really good people who also happen to be incredibly talented writers. Thanks for proving to me that if you’re truly passionate about what you do, it won’t be work. I only hope that whatever I choose to pursue in my life, I end up putting in as much heart as each of you puts into your writing.

To Slov and Liz, thank you for being my Daily parents and loving Miracle almost as much as I do. I miss our late-night food runs, movie dates, and kicking the shit out of State News together. You guys were the people that made me smile every time I walked into the newsroom, and I’ll always be grateful that you took pity on this lowly sophomore back in the day.

Greg (Craig?) and Alejandro, thank you for providing us with the greatest bromance the Daily has ever seen. It was awesome to watch you both work so hard for MSE, and then watch you both prove it was well deserved. Thanks for leading us to victory in the battle at EL, and for your amazing dedication to this place. Thanks for keeping me involved, even when I seemingly abandoned my writing career. I’ll forever be grateful for that. To say you both finished strong is an understatement. Max and Jake definitely have big shoes to fill.

And finally, to all my former beat partners (Lex, Max, Lev, Jeremy and Alex) and all the other weird and wonderful people I’ve met and worked with at TMD, thank you for being my friends, covering the stories no one really wanted to, always being honest about your favorite cheeses and playing endless hours of Chair Monkey. To those of you who’ve got some years left here, my advice is simple. Don’t waste your time, but if you do, just make sure to waste it with awesome people. Oh, and #BeatStateNews.

Hannah Maine
Copy Editor

The Daily has been my haven throughout my time at Michigan. While I find interest in journalism and obsess over grammar errors, the Daily was never about the work for me. I came for the people. From my fellow copycats, I have learned the best classes to take, the most recent world crisis, and most importantly, that there was a place for me. At the Daily, I’ve met the most varied group of people of my life. I’ve met the diversely talented, always friendly Tom McBrien; the absolutely fabulous, Mindy Kaling doppleganger, Mariam Sheikh; and the powerhouse, energizer bunny that is my best friend Meaghan Thompson. Each person I’ve met at the Daily has taught me something, but mostly I’ve learned from my copycats to be comfortable with who I am. I will miss the 50-cent Cokes. I will miss the Iorio’s runs. But I will miss all of you the most.

Teresa Mathew
Managing Photo Editor

This paper has meant “home” to me more than any place ever has.
This is where I’ve grown up. For the past three and a half years, belonging at the Daily is all I’ve ever wanted. More than awards or photo credits, I just wanted to be able to walk through the doors and feel as if I were a part of something that loved me back. And after three-and-a-half years of improbable friendships, roadtrips, late nights, and God knows how many papers, I know that much is true.

I can’t believe I’m leaving, but it’s comforting to know that all the people I’ve looked up to and loved have been right where I am now. Honored, exhausted, and looking forward.

What keeps me going has always been love—not just for what I’ve covered, but for the people I’ve worked with. And so, as I look back at the last three and a half years, I just want to say thank you.

To Berth and Liz—you both mean more to me than Colin Firth (even in Love Actually). Terra and Adam, you guys taught me what it meant to be a leader and photog in this crazy place. Nez, thank you for being the older brother I always needed. I forgive you for introducing that .gif to the internet. Zach, everyone’s tired of me saying that you’re the reason I read the sports section. You’re the best—both as a writer and a juice box bro. Haley, thanks for teaching me that life is worth laughing about and loving, and the importance of reaching for the stars***. Erin—you are my girl, my favorite IPL, my rock. Thank you for helping me believe in myself.

To all of you, and to everyone for whom I have watercolored: you have been my editors, my mentors, and my friends. You have made me want to be better, and I have spent these last three and a half years trying to make you proud. I hope that most of the time I did.

Carlina, you are my constant inspiration. Dan, I always loved listening—thank you for letting me. Paul, thanks for doing this crazy job with me. McKenzie—we made it through! To the sports boys I have loved and annoyed in equal measure–thanks for letting me pretend I was part of the club.

Allison, Ruby, Jen, Sam, Carolyn, Gabs, Jake, Max(s), and all of my beautiful photo staff: I can’t wait to see what you do and who you go on to become. Treasure your time here, because you’re going to wake up one morning and wonder how it all ended so quickly.
L’IIME and Julie, thank you for loving me and knowing that the answer to most anything was always going to be “I’m sorry, I can’t, I have the Daily.” I swear I love you all more than paper, ink, and the internet.

To Peter, for everything, and for becoming the leader I always knew and hoped you would be. I can’t imagine my life or the Daily without you.

Finally, to the photo closet. Thanks for harboring my equipment, late-night tears and a hundred hushed conversations. You have always been my favorite safe haven, and in return I never hooked up in you. I hope we’re even.

The Daily is where I’ve learned how to live, how to love, and how to lead. I don’t know who I’m going to be without it, but do know that I am who I am, unquestionably and indelibly, because of this paper.

If I ever have a job I love half as much as I’ve loved this one, I can ask for nothing more. It hasn’t always been fun and it certainly hasn’t always been easy, but it has always, always been worth it.

You all have made it worth it.

Love and pups,

TMat

Tom McBrien
Assistant News Editor

Wow, that went by fast. I had a strange career path at this paper, going from a lowly copybot, to reigning copy chief, to a strange reporter writing about protein structures and map thieves. Along the way, I met some of the most intelligent and hard-working people at this school. Though I may rarely be serious in the newsroom, I’ve never been more serious than when I say I’m honored that these people and this place took me in. I’ll always return to my memories here whenever I need a little warmth in my life. Thank you all for teaching me about journalism, friendship, respect and, most importantly, synergy. Deuces.

Mark Ossolinski
Copy Chief

When I first joined the Daily during my freshman year, it was mainly out of a desire to “just get involved with something.” I became a copy editor, which I figured would be a pretty straightforward commitment. A minimum of one three-hour shift per week, during which all I had to do was edit a few articles. For a while, I kept to that bare minimum, and it seemed to give me all I wanted out of the Daily. My job wasn’t all that demanding, I made a few friends, and above all, I felt “involved.”

But pretty quickly, I felt an urge to do more. There’s a pull, a charm about this place that’s hard for me to put my finger on, but what I do know is that it made my three hours a week start to feel distinctly insufficient. I wanted to give more to the Daily, to simply be there more. So, a year ago, I took the plunge and became a copy chief.

A year later, after countless hours worked, typos fixed and City Council articles begrudgingly edited, I only wish I could have given more to this amazing place. The mix of people here who are incredibly intelligent and driven but also fun-loving and flat-out hilarious has made my experience at the Daily something I know I’ll cherish for the rest of my life. It’s been absolutely worth it. And no article about city sidewalk ordinances will ever change that.

Alisha Qiu
Senior Copy Editor

According to my Michigan Daily login screen, I’ve been a member for “1 year 35 weeks.” The last year and a half, I’ve watched this number grow week by week, a count of the time I’ve spent at 420 Maynard St., but more importantly of the convoluted treks through Google to check that last, impossible fact; the 50-cent Cokes, yes-I-know-guac-is-extra burrito bowls, and how-many-flavors-can-I-fit-in-a-piccolo? cups of gelato; the sassy copy notes I hope Mark and Meaghan removed; the side-splitting laughs with crazy, wonderful, passionate people; every single cookie Laura Schinagle ate at Daily Elections 2014.

My time at The Michigan Daily has left an indelible mark on me, if only because the first thought that crosses my mind when I read non-Daily news articles these days is, “That would take so much time to fact check.” I learned things here that I never expected to, but am so glad I did. Sometimes, copying and pasting entire sentences into a search is the most effective way to find something. Eating Potbelly’s for dinner three times a week is not a poor life decision, especially if there’s a bottle of Vernor’s involved. Both “cockroaches” and “roaches” are acceptable ways to refer to cockroaches on all references, but the “T” in “T-shirt” should be capitalized. And it’s okay to feel strongly about the Oxford comma, because I’m not the only one who does, and the other people who are just as passionate about punctuation are some of the best I’ll ever know.

To the copy cats: you rock; don’t ever change.

It has been an absolute honor and pleasure working with everyone on staff. The love for and dedication to this publication is humbling and inspiring, and I’m so thankful to have been part of it.

Max Radwin
Deputy Magazine Editor

This is a strange place. I’ve got to say. Sometimes it felt like a job, and other times it felt like hanging with friends. My relationships were professional but also social, and when those things overlapped I never knew how to make sense of it. Now I’m writing a senior goodbye and I’m unsure who to thank, how and for what.

I never got to where I was at the Daily every night. The Daily was never my whole life. Sometimes I wish that it had been, and then also I’m glad that I let myself become more well-rounded. The time that I did spend here was important to me — a defining college experience — and I’m thankful that I was able to participate as much as I did.

The only regret, then, I suppose, is that I did not write more. And because of the nature of the Daily, I think that’s a regret I would have walked away with no matter how many articles I had written. The Daily is a breeding ground for learning and creative expression that leaves you with a craving. Which is why I’m grateful to have become an editor on a couple sections, to write what I did and hopefully make a positive impact on such an important institution on this campus.

For me, the Daily became an education outside of the classroom. I learned to be a better writer and reporter in a way that has shaped my career path and thus, the trajectory of the rest of my life. But there were lots of lessons that arose tangentially to the journalism I partook in each week.

For example, I work better with people now. I take criticism better. I can present my own ideas more articulately during thoughtful discussions. I can fail with grace and succeed with humility. I’m more thoughtful to sensitive issues. My worldview is more open and welcoming. I’m more culturally engaged, politically engaged. I’m a better citizen. I have more confidence, and I hold myself and my endeavors to a higher standard. I’m a better person, smarter, because of the Daily and everyone that comprises it.

I have to thank Leah Burgin for hiring me onto Arts, Kayla Upadhyaya for hiring me as an editor, John Lynch for letting me stick around for half a summer to be an SAE, Adam Rubenfire for hiring me onto News, Jen Calfas for giving me an opportunity to be on a beat and be an ANE, and Carlina Duan for hiring me as Deputy Statement Editor.

Some other people I’d like to mention:

Peter, I admire your poise, your professionalism, your calm demeanor in dealing with difficult issues, and your sociability as a leader. I’ve learned a lot by your example this year.

Thanks to Sam Gringlas. I could not have asked for an editor who was more genuine, creative, motivated and unwaveringly kind — that made me want to work hard and do a good job, and be a better editor and journalist myself — than you, Sam.

John Lynch — walks home discussing Daily politics, life, art and journalism. Thanks for being the guy who understood the burden of a creative mind and life over the last few years. And keep writing, man. I want to read it all.

The great Jack Turman III, partner-in-crime (beat). My homie, all I can say is that you and Sugerman kept me sane in more ways than you know.

To my whole Statement family — Carlina, Ruby, Amy, Amrutha — I really think we set a high bar for the future, I’m proud of the work we did and I’m glad I did it with you guys. You all challenged me in a lot of ways and through it all — whether it be heated arguments, late nights eating mayonnaise because we couldn’t come up with a headline, or just hanging out and gossiping — I’m glad I was able to learn from and became closer with each of you.

The next steps in my life look brighter after the Daily, more full of promise. I have nothing but gratitude.

James Reslier-Wells
Managing Video Editor

This isn’t really a complete goodbye, as I’m taking another semester next fall, but oh well; I’m a senior so here it is. Coming to the University as a 25-year-old transfer student was intimidating, but the one saving grace I had was my intent to join the Daily. It was with extreme fortune that I came in at the ground floor of video section, hot off making a video for my community college newspaper that kindled a definite interest in the practice. Over the past year and a half, we went from making five videos a semester to four videos a week, and it still blows my mind to think that it’s only getting better from here.

To Paula: We did it. We built this section on stress and moxie, and I’ll be damned if I could have done it without you. Your attention to detail and ability to handle a schedule were easily the most key factors in making this endeavor successful, and somehow you managed to keep on top of everything. I can’t thank you enough for all the times you brought me back to earth when all I wanted to do was get lost in the stars. I hope you find your small town Texas radio station; you definitely deserve it!

To Austen: You … crazy person, you. It’s really thanks to you that we had a shot to make this thing real. You are as brilliant as you are confounding and your energy is truly enviable, so you keep doing you, whatever that is and however you do it.

To Kaylla: You have no idea how happy it makes me to have you take over. I can’t wait to see how you make video the section it could always be. Keep exploring, keep creating, keep narrowly escaping trouble — we both know it’s what you’re best at — but most of all, have fun with it; it’s not worth letting the stress get to you.

The most amazing thing of all, though, is realizing that I was a part of it. In my life I’ve had some difficulty accepting the idea of community, but over these last 15 months there was never any question of where I belonged. The Daily epitomizes the work hard play hard ideal that I’ve always admired, and I sense a kindred spirit in everyone who haunts this newsroom trying to make the most of their experience here. The sense of opportunity and possibility I’ve gleaned from you all has been the single most valuable thing I’ve gotten out of this University.

Akshay Seth
Managing Arts Editor

Remember that time Giancarlo broke a window in his own house? I don’t. I wasn’t there, but I do remember my phone. I remember getting those 67,839,485 text messages, around 70,000 of them ending with #DRUNKCARLO. I remember that it was 2 a.m. I remember Alec’s Seinfeld voice. I remember saying “I pizza emoji you” every other time I talked with Natalie. I remember sitting at home, live-texting Erika that one “Nathan For You” episode about that guy on the boat. I remember floundering through a discussion of Paul Thomas Anderson with Giancarlo. And with John, I remember storming through a discussion of why “Fight Club” is and forever will be my favorite movie. But most of all, I remember the rough edges, those little things on either side of the line that made this my home — the last shot of Fireball, the first burrito bowl we ordered at Chipotle, the last Taylor Swift song Teresa sang along to at the Photo desk, the first text Peter sent me after reading my MiC article, the last sentence of Carlina’s MiC article, the first snapchat I sent Katie, the last Ryan Gosling article I posted on Brianne’s wall, the first game of League I played with Nick, the last karaoke song I screamed with David Tao, the first night I crashed on Sean’s couch, the last TV recap I wrote with Chloe, the first cookie I baked with Matt, the last drink I had with Dan Wang at Ashley’s, the last time I saw Maddie, the first article I sent Kayla.

Peter Shahin
Editor in Chief

When my Dad, a Daily alum from the late 1970s, came to visit 420 Maynard St. earlier this year, it wasn’t quite the flashback he had anticipated. The AP ticker in the back of the room has been replaced by a (filthy) refrigerator and the printing presses on the first floor had long since been sold. His Daily, or part of it, anyway, was gone.

The Daily has changed a lot since I began as a freshman, let alone the days when my father clacked away on a typewriter here. Although we print fewer papers, we now have hundreds of thousands of readers around the world — our circulation is as wide as the Michigan alumni base and beyond. But the heart of the paper is still in Ann Arbor, and as with the generations that came before us, it shaped me in ways that I can’t sum up in 700 words or less.

Like my peers, I’ve grown up (and loosened up) here. The first time I came into the newsroom, I called the editor in chief “Madame Editor” because I was so afraid of her. Since then, the Daily has given me the opportunity to interview the University president, pore over budget sheets looking for a story, and, most sweetly, spoil Stephen Ross’ retirement. To Bethany and Yossi, who saw enough in me to send a 19 year old to cover a U.S. Supreme Court case on affirmative action, thank you.

With mandatory retirement after three and a half years, keeping an institutional memory is nearly impossible. But that allows the Daily to constantly reinvent itself in a wonderful struggle between our heritage and the demands of the modern world. In my position, I got to see (and fight) my share of battles. But, as my peers have said, what I’ll remember most is the opportunity to work alongside the most talented, courageous and caring people I have ever known.

Looking back on this year, I imagine we’ll talk about Brendan Gibbons, the new University president, the snow day story that was so popular it crashed our servers — and of course that famous listicle of songs to accompany the firing of a certain head football coach. But we’ll also talk about those 4 a.m. trips to the McDonald’s on North Campus, hippie hash at Fleetwood Diner and how many 11:30 classes we missed because we were just too tired.

I imagine we’ll also talk about all we wanted to do too, but I leave that to the Daily’s next editor in chief, Jennifer Calfas, to pick up where we left off. Jen, you’re more capable and prepared for this position than anyone, and probably more than you know. I’m honored to have worked alongside you this year, and while I’m so proud of everything you’ve achieved, it will pale in comparison to what you’ll do in the year ahead.

To Katie, thank you for being the best partner I could ask for through our 150 issues — plus a few surprise stories on the weekend. Whatever publication you end up running someday, I know you will continue to inspire your colleagues with your strong journalistic judgment, determination and friendship.

To the managing section editors, to whom I owe everything, thank you for making this year the best one of my life. Working alongside all of you every day never felt like, well, work. Your passion and drive kept this paper going through some of the most challenging times in the history of The Michigan Daily and left it stronger for the next generation — the most that could be asked of us. Although it’s hard to believe we won’t see each other in the newsroom every day next semester, it feels better knowing that we’ll be facing whatever comes next together.

To Teresa, thanks for making even the bad days at the Daily seem OK and the good ones much better. I admire your refusal to give up on others, even when they doubt themselves.

To my grandparents, thank you for your sympathy and support through this year — even if you didn’t quite understand why I wanted to work a full time job while going to school. Thanks for the gas money to get our staffers home at 2:30 a.m. and for covering the Honeybaked Ham turkeys for Daily Thanksgiving when you heard I hadn’t started thawing the ones from Meijer four days ahead of time.

To my Dad, thanks for your letters and e-mails of encouragement, which I always found the time to read over and over but never quite had the time to reply to. To my Mom, thanks for fielding the occasional panicked phone call — and the beer. You have a great tag-team parenting style.

And to my roommates — yes, I’ll do the dishes second semester.

Paul Sherman
Managing Photo Editor

When I first arrived at Michigan, I thought I was going to be someone who would blend into the background. A person who would go to class and maybe join a club or two, but not take on a major role. I was the shy kid in high school. I was a kid from the Northwest who wanted to study international relations and French. At the time, photography was just a hobby to me.

After I saw the Daily’s stand at Festifall, I thought to myself “What could it hurt to check it out?” Little did I know I would spend the next three and a half years traveling around the Midwest taking photos of various events from football games to a speech by President Obama. And almost getting tackled by Jordan Morgan. Photography provided me an opportunity to gain new perspectives of Ann Arbor and the University in general.

Over the course of my academic career, 420 Maynard St. has meant so much to me. I have met some of the smartest people I know. I will always look back fondly on the numerous nights I spent in the newsroom — editing photos, putting pages together, looking through the viewfinder and finding some new challenge each day. And of course, I have made numerous new friends with whom I will keep in touch over the next decades. While I am not going into journalism, I would do it all over again in an instant if I had the opportunity. I know that it is time to pass the torch off to someone else to lead this great newspaper.

To my Co-MPE Teresa: Thank you for deciding to run for MPE with me all those months ago. It has been one hell of a ride, and I have always admired your skills as a photographer.

To Ruby and Allison: I have all the confidence in the world that you will do an amazing job.

To the rest of Photostaff: I have constantly been impressed with your ability and dedication to the Daily. Time and time again, the quality of the content that we have produced has been incredible.

To my mom, dad and brothers: Thank you for being so supportive throughout the entire process. I love you guys and hearing your encouragement made my job a lot easier.

And lastly, thank you to everybody who took a look through our photos. I hope you enjoyed them.

Psherm

Alec Stern
Senior Arts Editor

My first two years at Michigan were great, but not that life-changing, best experience of my life, all-consuming great by which most people describe their college days. All of that changed when I became an editor at The Michigan Daily, and I credit everyone in the Arts section for finally allowing me to define my college experience with the most intense, hyperbolic descriptors, as most people often do.

To Akshay, Erika, Giancarlo, John and Natalie: thank you for being the greatest friends and people I know. I don’t remember what college was like before I knew you, and I don’t want to imagine a future without each of you in it.

To HBO, Connie Britton, “Kill Bill” and “Extant”: thank you for frequently being the subjects of my articles.

Clear eyes, full hearts.

Jeremy Summitt
Daily Sports Editor

I walked into the Daily and shook Nez’s hand one evening in January. Frankly, I had no clue how that moment would reshape my college experience. I was just trying to get out of the house more often.

His pitch was enough to keep me coming back to the sports section, so the first thank you goes to Stephen J. Nesbitt. We’re all grateful that you led our section like a champion.

Thanks to Adam Glanzman for encouraging me to get to the Daily and for introducing me to Nez. You’re a great friend and an extremely talented one at that. I miss having you around.

Thanks to Zach and Everett. I owe much of what I know to your mentorship and your passion for this newspaper. The section fed off your creativity and you guys always set the bar for the work we all strive to achieve on a daily basis.

Thanks to this senior class. This is for Rajat, Greg, Alejandro, Feldman and Alexa. We’ve had a heck of a run, and I’m really grateful I had the chance to work with each of you.

I might be known as the quiet one in the section; sometimes I keep to myself more times than I should. I don’t often speak about all that’s on my mind, but some of my thoughts are better expressed in writing. I sincerely hope this does me some justice.

When you surround yourself by people who flaunt creativity, you soak up knowledge like a sponge. The Daily has taught me countless things that go far beyond writing. The people make the Daily what it is, and that’s the reason it’s such a special place.

To Feldman and Alexa, I hope the AFC East takes a turn in your favor in the coming years. And Rajat, thanks for giving me all the advice I needed and for being so committed to the Daily. I look up to you more than you know.

When I come back as an alum, the newsroom might be empty. I’ll remember Greg talking about cats and playing some music I wasn’t fond of. I’ll remember our trip to the mustard museum, too. Alejandro, I’ll remember the drive to Akron, Ohio and eating at Swenson’s hamburgers. I’m biased, but that’s where it all began.

I remember more than I can write at the moment. It’s easy to remember, though. The Daily is one of those places that makes it hard for the mind to forget.

Meaghan Thompson
Copy Chief

I feel really weird saying goodbye. I’ve always made excuses not to say it, to say “see you soon,” or to avoid the word altogether like it isn’t even there. So, in keeping with that, I’m not going to say goodbye to the Daily. Instead, I’m going to write one hell of a thank you note. I think that’s more fitting, anyway. The Daily — and the people who work to make this paper what it is — have been such an integral part of my time at the University of Michigan that I would be extremely remiss if I didn’t say thank you.

First, to The Michigan Daily class of 2015, I’m so honored to have worked with such a great group of human beings. You have all made my time here the best three years of my life, and I have no doubt that each and every one of you will go on to kick some serious ass in whatever you do.

To this year’s MDesk, thank you for being some of the most talented, hardworking, driven people I know. Thank you for inspiring me every time I come in to the newsroom. Thank you for putting up with me when I haven’t had caffeine in a while or when I leave sassy copy notes. Thank you most of all for giving as much as you have over the past year to make the Daily such an incredible paper. I feel so lucky to have worked with all of you.

To all of my copycatz and copykittenz, I couldn’t have asked for a cooler group of people to share the copy desk with. Thank you all for making my job so awesome. I’ll miss you all, but I know Laura and Hannah will continue to lead the copy desk to glory. Or at least to Iorio’s on a fairly regular basis.

To Mariam, thank you for being my right-hand woman, an amazing friend and absolutely the only person I would allow to post clown videos on my Facebook wall. Life isn’t going to be the same without you sitting across the copy desk, ready to talk about Mindy and the merits (or lack thereof) of the man bun.

To Hannah, thank you for giving me the chance to work with one of my best friends — I can’t tell you how grateful I am to have shared not one, but two offices with you. Thank you for being there always. You’re going to do incredible things, and I’m so proud to call you my friend.

To the indomitable Kelly McLaughlin, thank you for all of your wisdom and guidance over the past few years. I couldn’t ask for a better friend (FRIEND!), reading buddy and awful 90s football kit enthusiast.

Last, but not least, to my incredible family, most of all my parents, thank you for being the incredible support system you have been over the past 22 years. I wouldn’t be where I am today without you, and I am so unbelievably grateful for everything you’ve done for me. I love you to the moon and back.
A good thank you note is always supposed to close with one last expression of thanks. With that, thank you, thank you, thank you to The Michigan Daily and to everyone who has made my time at the University of Michigan the crazy, wonderful experience it has been. I’ll miss this place more than words can say.

Dan Wang
Editorial Page Editor

God I hated this place, actively, passionately and very seriously. Months after Melanie and Adrienne tricked me into taking this position, I just wanted out. I don’t think I was alone either. I know all of you managing editors must have thought at least once, “No one even reads this thing. Let me sleep.” Yet, we kept coming back.

Creepily watching everyone from the opinion corner I wondered why we all continued to show up, day after day, even staying late to agonize over the smallest of details. The politically correct response (and the one we will all use in our interviews and cover letters) is that we loved making the paper and believed in what we were doing. While I think this is partially true, it is ultimately a lie by omission. At least for me, it was all of you who kept me coming back. And by ‘all of you’ I mean Peter Shahin, my one true love.

But by ‘all of you,’ I also mean you people who have become some of my dearest friends. My friends who have fed me, laughed with me, listened to me, sung and danced with me, and inspired me are the reason I loved coming to work every day; and you all are the reason I am tearing up as I contemplate leaving this place.

Thanks to Jesse for being my first Daily friend, to Jen for awkwardness, to Rachel for an OK marriage, to Meaghan for baos and milk boxes, to Mark for laffs and touching, to Akshay for movies and feels, to Teresa for listening, and to everyone else who has made the Daily such a wonderful experience.

Aarica and Derek, I’m sorry. It’s just part of the process, Melanie and Adrienne tricked me and now I’ve tricked you. Feel free to call me so I can talk you off the ledge.

Megan “Sass-master” McDonald, you were the best co-EPE to balance out a stupid kid like me. It has been an honor battling beside you in the trenches of the opinion page.

Peter, you handled what may have been the craziest year in Daily history with grace, class, and patience. I’m proud to say I was the only person at the Daily to kiss you.

Katie, this paper would have sunk without you. You were the glue for all of us in the newsroom. I would have sunk without you. We’ve been joking about this moment since January but it’s finally here, and I couldn’t have asked for a better partner in crime sitting at the desk next to me. Nothing compares 2 U. #secretsociety

I grasped for the Daily at a time when I was truly lost at college, with little confidence and no direction. Thankfully, I found friendly hands reaching back to pick me up. In a weird and unexpected way, this place and the people here saved me, and I will forever be grateful. Thank you so much. To quote the great Jenna Maroney: Goodbye forever, you factory reject dildos.

Taylor Wizner
Daily Staff Reporter

I’m thankful for the people at this paper who taught me how to report, to write in a way that makes sense, and to ask difficult questions, unwaveringly.

Thanks to the ladies who taught me everything about news: Bethany Biron, Paige Pearcy, Haley Goldberg, Haley Glatthorn and Rayza Goldsmith. And a special thanks to my former beat editor and managing news editor, Adam Rubenfire, who woke me up in the middle of the night for stories countless times but to whom I’m eternally grateful for believing in me enough to push me.

All my love to my fellow 2013 news editors, Alicia Adamczyk, K.C. Wassman, Peter Shahin, and Katie Burke. You energized me through all those late nights and made me happy to call 420 Maynard my home. I’m excited to see what we all will accomplish.

Alejandro Zúñiga
Managing Sports Editor

I’ve written more than 180 stories and nearly 90,000 words for The Michigan Daily, yet I don’t know how to fill one final blank page.

So I’ll start by saying thank you: To Tim and Nez, for being more inspirational than you’ll ever realize, and to Everett and Zach for pushing me when I needed it most. To Greg, because we’ve been on two beats together, lived together and led this section together, and, if it had been anyone but you, I’m not sure I would’ve survived it. To Dan for things I shouldn’t mention here (#neverforget), and to David for being involved in the Daily more than a non-staff member ever should. And to Peter and Katie, for taking this already-great paper to even better places.

To the football beat: I’m so damn proud of the work we did this semester. We covered this season better than any other outlet in the country.

To my parents: I owe any success to you — for forcing me to write as homework during childhood summer breaks, for financing my unpaid internships and for knowing before I did that computer science just didn’t feel right. Thank you.

To the girl in apartment 7J: Your art matters, and you make me feel as if mine does, too.

Sports are largely insignificant, but individuals matter, and their stories matter. I feel an obligation to share the incredible journeys others have taken. Two stand out most: I’ve had the opportunity to learn from Carol Hutchins, the Michigan softball coach, who was at the forefront of giving women fair and equal treatment at this school; and I’ve been inspired by Devin Gardner, who stretched the limits of human ability as, with a broken foot, he led the Wolverines to a near-upset of Ohio State. Thank you both, and to the hundreds of of others whose lives have touched mine.

Through telling their stories, I like to think I write my own.

It’s my time to say goodbye now, even if I don’t want to, and even if I don’t feel ready for it. Teresa, you’re gossipping with Allison by the photo desk. Greg, you’re browsing YouTube and finding a new song to blast through the newsroom. Max, Jake, Bultman and Dan: You’re all playing chair monkey. Gabby, you’re staring at them with a mixture of disdain and amusement. And it’s perfect. This moment is perfect.

I wish I had appreciated moments like these more. So I’m going to stop writing now so I can go enjoy it.