A pink-out to support breast cancer awareness, senior day, and a pivotal College Water Polo Association Western Division matchup against Indiana were all headlines at the Canham Natatorium on Saturday. The 14th-ranked Hoosiers (5-1 CWPA, 24-7 overall) handed the Michigan water polo team (4-1, 16-10) its first loss in divisional play by a score of 8-7, spoiling senior day in Ann Arbor.

The match began with Wolverine junior attacker Hathaway Moore scoring 35 seconds in. A minute later, Indiana hit the back of the cage to tie it up. The match remained even until sophomore attacker Kelsey Nolan drove the ball into the corner of the net to give Michigan the one-goal lead with 27 seconds left in the first.

The second period continued much like the first, with teams exchanging goals one after the other. Halfway through the second, Nolan struck again, tacking on her 23rd goal of the season and putting the Wolverines up 3-1. Indiana would come back, though, as the CWPA’s leading goal scorer, sophomore attacker Shae Fournier, recorded her 81st goal of the season on a strike from the center of the pool.

When asked how difficult it was to contain Fournier, Michigan coach Matt Anderson said “she’s a hell of a player.”

The Wolverines limited her opportunities, but she capitalized on “simple defensive breakdowns,” Anderson said.

Both Michigan and Indiana recorded a goal to end the first half, and Michigan’s Meagan Cobb was the first of the seniors to score on senior day.

But the Hoosiers came out firing in the third period, scoring two goals in the first three minutes, and Fournier added yet another tally to her record-breaking season. With Indiana up 5-4 in the closing minutes of the third period, senior captain Claire Ivry hit the back of the cage to knot the score at 5-5 heading into the final period.

“I was really happy to do what I could to help my team,” Ivry said.

Ivry played like a seasoned veteran on Saturday, as she scored her second goal of the match just 13 seconds into the fourth.

But Indiana tied the match again when Hoosier freshman Alexis Jones scored a minute later. The back-and-forth pattern continued until the very end of the game, as junior attacker Kiki Golden scored to give Michigan a one-goal lead for the fourth time.

The Wolverines would not score after that, though, as Indiana scored twice in the final three minutes, placing a damper on senior day and tarnishing Michigan’s perfect divisional record.

Though it was a tough loss for the Wolverines, Ivry was able to reflect on her career at Michigan after the game.

“Rewarding,” was the word that Ivry used to sum up here time as a Wolverine.

“I’ve learned so much about water polo, and I’ve gained so much from being a part of this team,” she said.

The Wolverines will look forward to next weekend as they take on a Western Division foe, Maryland, in a battle for the divisional title on April 7.