LANSING (AP) – The first two appointments of Gov. Jennifer Granholm were approved yesterday by the state Senate, whose leader said the chamber “has regained its proper role” in reviewing such nominations.

By votes of 38-0, the Senate approved Lansing Mayor David Hollister as director of the Department of Consumer and Industry Services and former Deputy State Treasurer Jay Rising as the new state treasurer.

A spokeswoman for Granholm praised the votes.

“The governor is very pleased the Senate agreed with her that Dave Hollister and Jay Rising are two excellent appointees,” Mary Dettloff said.

Although Granholm is a Democrat and the Senate is controlled by Republicans, the appointments received little criticism. Senate Majority Leader Ken Sikkema (R-Wyoming) has vowed the Senate will not be partisan in examining the appointments.

“It’s been an open and productive process,” Sikkema said yesterday. “The Senate has regained its proper role.”

The appointments took effect automatically unless the Senate voted them down. House approval is not required.

Sikkema has said the Senate will be more active in reviewing gubernatorial appointments in the new 2003-2004 legislative session than in the past. He had praise for both men approved yesterday.

“I believe the mayor will do an excellent job,” he said of Hollister. “If we are going to keep Michigan competitive, we will have to bring all sides of the table together.”