NEW YORK (AP) While Bud Selig hopes the major leagues gets smaller, his term as baseball commissioner may get longer.

Though his plan to eliminate two teams has been stalled by a Minnesota judge, Selig called for owners to gather again on Tuesday in Chicago a meeting where his term could be extended.

A high-ranking team official, citing conversations with owners, said Wednesday a formal agenda had not been received by all teams but the subject of an extension could be brought to a vote.

Selig, whose family has controlled the Milwaukee Brewers since 1970, was unanimously elected to a five-year term in July 1998 after serving as acting commissioner for nearly six years. He could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Selig attempted to keep the meeting secret.

“The primary purpose is updating on contraction,” said Sandy Alderson, executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner”s office.

The meeting comes three weeks after owners voted to fold two teams before next season. Although the teams haven”t been picked, the Montreal Expos and Twins are the most likely candidates, with Florida, Oakland and Tampa Bay less-discussed possibilities.

However, a temporary injunction obtained last week by the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, which operates the Metrodome, forces the Twins to fulfill their lease and play next season.

The Twins and baseball are appealing the decision, a process that could take months. Chief Justice Kathleen Blatz on Wednesday gave the MSFC until Nov. 28 to respond to baseball”s bid for a speedy review, including its request to have the case heard by Dec. 7.

Meanwhile, a squabble broke out among owners and players on the union”s grievance to block contraction. The sides can”t agree on when to begin the hearing before arbitrator Shyam Das, with management wanting it to start later than sooner. Das likely will have to set the hearing date on his own.

With contraction plans dragging on, Twins president Jerry Bell said the team will soon have to start selling tickets for next season.

“There”s no question it”s slowed us down,” he said from his office in Minneapolis. “It”s not business as usual. We have not sent out our season-ticker renewal forms, lined up group sales, all the things we”d be doing now.”

Asked when the renewal process would have to begin, Bell said “it”s probably more like weeks than months.”

Twins owner Carl Pohlad, frustrated at the government”s refusal to help fund a new ballpark, volunteered to have his team folded. Selig is attempting to eliminate two teams, saying they are a drain on baseball”s revenues and have little hope without new ballparks.

“It could be a sad day,” said Minnesota state Rep. Harry Mares, a Republican who sponsored a Twins” stadium bill last session.

“If they name the teams it will be very difficult” to stop contraction, he said. “Once you name the teams you”re basically giving your word and you better follow through with that.”