With Nintendo’s last console, the Nintendo 64, gamers either loved or hated the system. For the latter, gamers showed great distaste with the system because high-quality games were few and far between. On the other hand, gamers who loved the system were pulled in by its great first-party multi-player games like “Goldeneye 007,” “Mario Kart 64” and “Super Smash Bros.”

So far, Nintendo’s latest system, Nintendo GameCube, has continued the trend of its predessor as games like an updated “Super Smash Bros. Melee” have been the system’s only saving grace thus far. Fortunately, with Sega’s latest contribution to the system, “Sega Soccer Slam,” it appears that gamers will not need to rely solely on Nintendo for great party games.

Influenced by great arcade style games such as “NFL Blitz” and “NBA Street,” “Sega Soccer Slam” brings over the top game and addicting gameplay to a sport that many Americans show no interest in. But rather than trying to promote its game with big name soccer players (OK, there isn’t such a thing in the States), Sega’s game triumphs instead with the use of fictional teams and players. Featuring teams such as the Sub-Zero and the Toxic, along with imaginative comic book-like characters including the overwhelming El Diablo, sexy-temptress Lola and the brainy Nova, Sega’s game is bursting with fun-filled personality.

Adding to the atmosphere of “Soccer Slam,” the game’s animation is better than any sports game currently on the market. In addition to providing beautiful character designs and levels, the game’s frame rate is like a baby’s butt … silky smooth, but at the same time explosive.

While “Soccer Slam” provides great visuals, the game’s biggest selling point is its flawless gameplay. Using a four-on-four format similar to Midway’s “NHL Hitz,” the game will change the way you look at soccer. Rather than being slow paced, as expected from soccer games, the pace of “Soccer Slam” is more like a child with ADD. Combining an easy to use pass and shoot system with various powerups, special kicks and attack moves, “Soccer Slam” is easy enough for beginners to enjoy while providing deep depth for those who want more out of the game.

On a down note, “Soccer Slam” is a little shallow in the game mode department. Featuring season and tournament modes that can be completed in a weekend, gamers playing by themselves might decide to do just that instead. For social gamers, however, “Soccer Slam” will provide endless hours of entertaining soccer fun. Allowing up to four players, the game can be put in the same breath as other classic multi-player games of the past such as “Super Smash Bros. Melee” and “Mario Kart 64.”