The Screen Actors Guild handed out their awards on Sunday, and it could prove to be an apt preview of what is to come at the Academy Awards on March 24. Often, the big-winners at the Screen Actors Guild can expect to take home Oscars.

Courtesy of Zap2it.com
Sir Ian McKellen at the SAG awards

Russell Crowe may have cemented his victory at the upcoming Academy Awards with his win in the Male Actor in A Leading Role for his portrayal of Professor John Nash, who suffers from schizophrenia in “A Beautiful Mind.” Crowe’s acceptance was brief, and he did not read a poem on stage. He simply thanked the Guild and talked about how great it was to be an actor. Despite Crowe’s short acceptance speech, the actor still stormed off the stage looking angry as usual.

Halle Berry was a surprise winner in the Female Actor in A Leading Role category, beating out Judi Dench, Renee Zellweger, Sissy Spacek and Jennifer Connelly. Connelly was nominated mistakenly in this category, as she was supposed to receive a nomination for Female Actor in a Supporting Role for her work in “A Beautiful Mind.” Berry won for her role as a death row inmate’s wife who falls in love with the man who executed her husband.

In what is sure to be a two-horse race at the Academy later this month, Ian McKellan out-distanced Ben Kingsley in the Male Actor in A Supporting Role category. McKellan won for his portrayal of Gandalf in Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.” Kingsley was nominated for “Sexy Beast” and is currently the Oscars-odds-on-favorite, but McKellan’s win makes his claim to the Oscar a little stronger.

Female Actor in A Supporting Role went to Helen Mirren from Robert Altman’s “Gosford Park.” Mirren beat out Judi Dench (which makes Dench 0-2 at this year’s SAG’s), Cate Blanchett, Dakota Fanning and Cameron Diaz, who was nominated for her role in Cameron Crowe’s “Vanilla Sky.”