News and notes

n Georgia receiver Terrence Edwards did his best to make up for that dropped pass against Florida. Then, his season took another unfortunate turn.

Edwards caught five passes for 90 yards, including a 33-yard touchdown, as the seventh-ranked Bulldogs beat Mississippi 31-17 Saturday night.

But Edwards couldn’t come up with the final throw that came his way, falling hard on his left shoulder as he attempted to make a diving catch early in the fourth quarter. He was helped to the lockerroom, where doctors diagnosed a sprain that will keep the senior receiver out three to six weeks.

n Michigan State wide receiver Charles Rogers set a school record, grabbing his 24th and 25th career touchdown receptions against Indiana on Saturday.

More importantly, perhaps, was the fact that interim Spartans’ coach Morris Watts got off to a great start, as his team rolled past the Hoosiers, 56-21 in Bloomington.

n Bryan Randall completed 23 of 35 passes for 504 yards and a Virginia Tech school-record five touchdowns against Syracuse.

Unfortunately for the Hokies, it turned out to be too little, as the Orangemen stunned Virginia Tech, 50-42 in three overtimes as Randall threw an interception to end the game.

The two teams combined for 1,163 yards during the game.

n Connecticut police used pepper spray and dogs to keep students from rushing the goal posts after the final game at Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

The Huskies closed out their 50-year run at the stadium with a record-breaking 63-21 win over Kent State.

About 100 students ran onto the field and celebrated for a few minutes. They then turned their attention to the south goal post and encountered a dozen campus police officers with two dogs lined up in front of the goal posts.

n Byron Leftwich’s Heisman Trophy campaign looks like it will take a major hit on Tuesday night, as the Marshall quarterback is doubtful for the Thundering Herd’s game against Miami (Ohio) with an injured left shin.

Leftwich was hurt in Marshall’s 34-20 loss to Akron on Nov. 2. He returned to the game that week, but was limping badly enough that, late in the game, two offensive lineman were carrying him to and from the huddle to prevent him from putting weight on his leg.

n Ian Smart set an NCAA Division II record for career rushing touchdowns when he scored three times to lead C.W. Post to a 21-18 win over previously unbeaten Bentley. Smart, who now has 90 touchdowns, broke the record of 88 touchdowns held by Brian Shay of Emporia State, who played from 1995-98.

What they’re saying

n Navy had Notre Dame on the ropes on Saturday, with a chance to beat the Irish for the first time in 39 games. But between bad defensive play and some shaky quarterbacking from Aaron Polanco, the Midshipmen fell apart, eventually falling yet again to Notre Dame, 30-23.

“It was our game to have,” Polanco said. “We could have won; we should have won. You can’t be proud after a loss.”

n California didn’t waste a lot of time coming together under first-year coach Jeff Tedford. After going 1-10 last season, the Golden Bears wrapped up their sixth win of the year against No. 25 Arizona State, good enough to make them bowl eligible

“I’ve never been to a bowl game, so I’m fired up,” California running back Joe Igber said. “Hopefully, the football gods are smiling upon us, whoever that may be, and maybe we’ll go.”

n Just because Southern Cal. kept its Rose Bowl and BCS chances alive with a 49-17 rout of Stanford on the road Saturday, don’t think that Carson Palmer was satisfied. The Southern Cal. quarterback tossed four touchdowns and led the Trojans to touchdowns on seven of 12 possessions, but left thinking he should have had more.

“I’m mad, I’m frustrated, and I’m angry,” Palmer said. “The whole offense is. We should have scored every time we had the ball.”

Staff and wire reports contributed to this report.