Left brain, meet right brain.

The Science Learning Center hosted the its first ever Science As Art Exhibition Friday, giving undergraduate students the chance to through express their creativity through science-based art.

The contest received 27 submissions from students with backgrounds ranging from neuroscience to biomedical engineering to art to economics, Claire Sandler, director of the Science Learning Center, said.

“Science is in and behind everything, and what we were hoping to do with this contest was encourage students to stop and think about that and consider the science in their own life,” Sandler said.

Five judges oversaw the contest. Deirdre Spencer, senior associate librarian at the Fine Art Library, said her academic background gave her a unique perspective as a judge.

“One of the great things about studying art history and the visual arts and also as an art librarian is how it can really change the way you see the world and the way you find beauty and complication in the visual world around you,” Spencer said.

The pieces were judged on their artistic value, quality of artist’s statement and blend of science with art.

“It’s great if they can use science to think in terms of artistic vision, and I think it can help them enjoy and understand in another way what they do,” Spencer said. “I’m hoping some of the contestants will continue to create and exhibit.”

LSA senior Trisha Paul won the grand prize for her collage, titled “I Will Wear My Heart Upon My Sleeve.” She said she created the work, which detailed four different samples of tissues, all resembling hearts, before she was aware of the contest.

“What I love is the whole idea of expressing your emotions openly and freely, and I think my collage demonstrates that the heart shape—the shape we commonly associate with the heart – can exist elsewhere in the body,” Paul said. “Love and passion are things that exist throughout the body, not just in the heart.”

Paul added that her experiences in both humanities and science have complemented each other at the University.

“Studying English has helped me to better understand science, and studying science has helped me to have a better vocabulary and to better communicate what I’m doing in English,” Paul said. “They overlap. This contest has brought out the best of that.”