Science met art on Friday night at the second annual Science as Art Contest Exhibition and Awards.

The exhibition and award ceremony, co-sponsored by the Science Learning Center and Arts at Michigan, provides an outlet for undergraduates to display and receive recognition for their accomplishments, showcasing not only their artistic ability, but also their conceptual and creative understanding of science.

Organizers sectioned off the Hatcher Graduate Library to make room for all 23 submissions as well as the four winners from the previous year’s contest, with entries ranging from poetry to sculptures and digital renderings. The submissions encompassed various scientific topics including entropy, neurons and malarial infection.

“Our goal is to actively engage undergraduates in the arts and sciences and to provide an outlet for the creative expression of scientific ideas,” SLC Director Claire Sandler said in an e-mail interview.

The panel of judges was composed of five individuals with expertise in a wide variety of fields, including science, art, education and literature. The submissions were ranked according to their scientific basis, originality, skill and technique and quality of the written explanation.

This year, the grand prize was awarded to Art and Design senior Sidney Krandall for her piece “Progressive Resistance Exercise Design Concept,” a pen and ink illustration.

Several new categories were incorporated for the first time, including the People’s Choice award, which allowed attendees to vote for their favorite pieces.

LSA junior Ashley Miller won this year’s People’s Choice award for her piece, “Unobjective Research,” which depicted a woman’s face surrounded by a mass of long, flowing hair from which different three-dimensional shapes protruded. The hair curled into the form of a hand, choking the woman. The submission was done in acrylic paint and clay.

“My piece is about doing research and how sometimes some of the things that you want to do in research are not always things that you want to do,” Miller said. “It’s really hard to work with animals, but you just have to look at what comes out of it and the good that you’re working towards.”

LSA junior Lawrence Chen also participated in the exhibition with a large piece examining the seemingly chaotic, yet strictly structured nature of DNA.

“Science and art are both a very large part of my life and I see them intersect all the time,” Chen said. “This competition is exactly what I’m looking for. Both bring great joy to my life.”

Miller emphasized the importance of the event in that it provided a more visual medium of science.

“This event is really important because it shows people what science is doing through more of a visual and easier way to get it out to people who aren’t particularly scientifically-knowledgeable,” Miller said. “It makes it more interesting to the everyday person.”