While campuses nationwide are working to find new ways to aid the victims of Hurricane Katrina, many Gulf-area colleges are disproportionately involved in helping evacuated students and faculty relocate.

While the University has accepted just 20 students in the last week, schools closer to the areas affected by the hurricane — such as Louisiana State University and Tougaloo College in Jackson, Miss. — continue to receive high numbers of inquiries from students who wish to transfer.

LSU spokeswoman Kristine Calongne said LSU has admitted and registered 1,500 students — nearly 28 percent of its last year’s freshman class — from nearby Tulane University, Loyola University and the University of New Orleans, as well as other Gulf-area campuses in Mississippi and Florida. Also, nearly 700 faculty members will come to LSU in order to accommodate the increase in the student body, Calongne said.

Tougaloo College, which suffered slight damage from the hurricane, has extended its registration deadline to accommodate evacuated students, said college spokesman Danny Jones.

“There is no end date as of now, and we will help as long as we can. We want to make it as smooth a transition as possible,” Jones said. Most of the transfer students originate from Dillard and Xavier Universities, both of which are temporarily closed due to hurricane damage, Jones added.

Miami University spokeswoman Claire Wagner said Miami — which has been dealing with students on a case-by-case basis since Aug. 31 — has accepted 31 displaced Tulane students.

“We asked faculty to accommodate (these students) and catch them up. Most even got the courses they wanted,” Wagner said. “We also found them housing if they needed to live on campus.”

In addition to allowing easier enrollment, LSU and Miami — like many other universities — are not requiring additional payment if individuals have already paid tuition to their home university, and they are also allowing financial aid to transfer.

Volunteers from these institutions are also organizing benefit concerts and can drives to collect funds and goods.

LSU also set up hospitals and treatment centers in the campus assembly center, baseball stadium and field house to provide evacuees with food, water, clothes and medical treatment.

These centers — put in place days before the storm hit — have filled prescriptions and discharged nearly 500 of the 4,000 patients admitted since evacuations began.

“This represents the largest deployment of public health officials and the largest field hospital ever created in U.S. history,” Calongne said. “Almost all of campus is volunteering in some way.”

For those students having difficulty finding a transfer school, the Florida Board of Governors and the Florida Department of Education developed a system to ease standard admission requirements and disperse admission information to interested evacuees.

The Florida Cares Initiative, in place since last Thursday, is helping gulf-area students from kindergarten through college find replacement schools.

“Our goal is to be as helpful as possible in this time,” said Bill Edmonds, spokesman for the Florida Board of Governors. “Our intent is not to be a pirate and steal other institutions’ students, but to offer them a place to study until they can return to their original schools.”