SAGINAW (AP) – A 15-year-old student at Saginaw High School was shot in the chest yesterday by another student, police said.

The shooting occurred inside the school building about noon Thursday, said Mike Manley, a Saginaw Public Schools spokesman. A security guard chased after the 15-year-old suspect, who ran from the school and was arrested nearby, Manley said.

The victim was taken to an area hospital, where he was in critical condition, Manley said. Both the victim and the suspect are sophomores at the school, he said.

The weapon used in the shooting was recovered, Saginaw police Sgt. Chet Allen said. Officials did not immediately disclose the type of gun involved.

Officials placed the school in lockdown after the shooting while small groups of parents were allowed to enter and pick up their children. Students who were not picked up were released about 2:15 p.m. Thursday, about 25 minutes earlier than normal, Manley said.

Thursday’s junior varsity football game against Arthur Hill High School was canceled, but school is in session today, Manley said.

Manley said that in the 35 years he has worked for the school district, there had not been a shooting at Saginaw High School. The school did not have metal detectors, but by Thursday evening, one had been set up at the school’s front entrance.

In September, school officials banned after-dark events at two city high schools following a drive-by shooting that marked the third such shooting on district grounds in 13 months.