University President Mark Schlissel named his nomination for a new leader of the University of Michigan Health System Monday. Dr. Marschall Runge has been recommended to lead medical affairs at the University, pending approval by the University’s Board of Regents at their regularly scheduled meeting on Dec. 18.

Runge currently serves as executive dean for the School of Medicine at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

If approved, he will take over the position of executive vice president of medical affairs March 1. University spokesperson Rick Fitzgerald confirmed that Schlissel met with Runge prior to making the recommendation.

“Dr. Runge has significant experience and success in multiple aspects of healthcare and academic health sciences,” Schlissel said in a press release. “His accomplishments as a scientist, physician and leader are ideally suited to advance the UMHS tripartite mission of clinical care, education and research.”

Runge currently serves as director of the North Carolina Translational and Clinical Sciences Institute, a partnership between the University of North Carolina and several other institutions which aims to “accelerate clinical and translational research from health science.”

He earned a bachelors of arts in biology and Ph.D. in molecular biology from Vanderbilt University and a medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University.

If appointed, he will take control of one of the University’s largest operations.

UMHS includes the University hospitals and health centers, the medical and nursing schools, along with a large portion of the University’s biomedical research centers. Its operating activities accounted for over $3 billion for the 2014 fiscal year — 45 percent of the University’s total operations.

When Ora Pescovitz stepped down from her role as CEO of the University of Michigan Health System in June, a search committee began to seek her replacement. Dr. Paul Lee, director of the Kellogg Eye Center, chaired the committee.

Dr. Michael Johns, former Emory chancellor and executive vice president for health affairs, has been serving as interim Executive Vice President of Medical Affairs since June 2. University spokesperson Rick Fitzgerald said Johns has agreed to retain his interim position until the transition date of March 1.

The University enlisted the services of Russell Reynolds Associates, an international consulting firm that serves a role in executive searches, in the selection process. To collect feedback and nominations from the medical community, the University also hosted public forums with UMHS faculty and staff and other related groups during the summer of 2014.

In a July University press release, Schlissel outlined the criteria for an ideal EVPMA. He or she would need extensive research leadership experience, have a medical or equivalent degree and experience that reflects an ability to manage an institution like UMHS.

“We’ll need someone with a good sense of trends in health care, good business sense, a commitment to quality care and a real sensitivity to what faculty and students need to be successful,” Schlissel said in a press release.

Daily News Editor Rachel Premack contributed to this report.

This is a developing story. Check michigandaily.com for updates.