Following the receipt of 47 applications for the new Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center director, the search committee for the position met Friday morning to discuss the minimum qualifications desired for the top candidates and the committee”s schedule for the selection process.

“Our goal is to be able to make a recommendation on a final three to five candidates by the end of February and invite them to the University at that point,” search committee Chair Kathleen Donohoe said.

The 12-member committee is comprised of two students and 10 University affiliates who interact with SAPAC daily. The committee has representatives from Counseling and Psychological Services, the Department of Public Safety, the Office of Student Conflict Resolution, University and Family Housing, University Hospitals, the Office of Greek Life and SAPAC.

The committee hopes to deliver its recommendations to the Office of Student Affairs by the beginning of February. Donohoe said that in order to accommodate the student members, the final decision must be made prior to their departure for spring break.

At Friday”s meeting, the committee members came to a consensus about the characteristics and abilities they would like to see in a new SAPAC director. They also decided the minimum educational qualification for the position is a master”s degree or job experience equivalent to the title.

Donohoe said they have to quantify how much experience those candidates need, since some do not have a master”s degree, but have worked extensively with students.

“The dedication and attention we want in someone who can work well with students is the paramount qualification,” she said. “I think the couple that have intrigued me are those that are working at major universities that have extensive prevention programs. It will be interesting to see their complete resumes and to find the substance of those programs.”

Thirteen of the applications for the position came from candidates who expressed interest at a Sexual Assault and Harassment conference Donohoe attended in the beginning of November. Also many candidates responded after seeing an ad for the position in the Chronicle for Higher Education and Black Issues in Higher Education.

The committee will begin reviewing applications this week and will meet bimonthly. Closer to the deadline date, they will begin meeting weekly.