At the Senate Advisory Committee for University Affairs’ last meeting of the year Monday, the group discussed several upcoming dean appointments set to be finalized at the meeting of the University’s Board of Regents Thursday.

University Provost Martha Pollack addressed SACUA after an executive session was held with Regent Julia Darlow (D). Pollack shared information about her recommended appointments to fill several open administrative positions.

Andrew Martin, vice dean of the School of Law at Washington University in St. Louis, has been selected to serve as LSA dean, pending approval by the regents. His term would be effective July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2019.

In addition to his position at Washington University’s School of Law, Martin is the founding director of the Center for Empirical Research in the Law, a Washington University research center focused on studying the methodology behind legal research. He is also a political science professor at the university.

“He’s very committed to ensuring that LSA become an even more welcoming, diverse and inclusive environment,” Pollack said.

Astronomy Prof. Sally Oey, a member of SACUA, asked the provost whether she had any comments regarding Martin’s leadership style.

“(His leadership style) is collaborative, very collaborative,” Pollack said. “When I talked with references, they spoke both about him being very collaborative but also him being someone who makes decisions and gets things done … I’m very excited about him … I think he’s going to fit in very well in the University of Michigan’s culture.”

Robert M. Sellers, the Charles D. Moody Collegiate Professor of Psychology and chair of the department of psychology, has been chosen as the vice provost for equity, inclusion and academic affairs. The position was created in January in response to concerns about minority inclusion on campus.

“He’s a very distinguished scholar,” Pollack said. “What I think is most impressive about Rob for this position is that he’s got this huge track record of funded research and publications in the area of ethnicity, racial and ethnic identity, and personality and health.”

Sellers’ five-year term would also begin July 1, 2014.

James Dalton, chair of the Division of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry at The Ohio State University, is the recommended replacement for the dean of the College of Pharmacy.

Dalton, who is also a Ohio State professor, currently serves as the Chief Scientific Officer at GTx Inc., a biopharmaceutical company in Memphis, Tennessee.

Dalton would assume his position Sept. 1 and serve a five-year term.

The finalization of the appointments is pending approval by the University’s Board of Regents. The regents will meet to review the candidates during a meeting Thursday.