By Muhammad Saleem Khan

For the Daily

Since 1917, formal military training has been given at the University through its Reserve Officers Training Corps program, which has now graduated many officers and continues to produce many more.

With the recent graduation, the ROTC program continued its long tradition of producing college graduates who are ready for service in the military.

The ROTC combines the grueling preparation and physical demands of the military, with the academic challenge that the University has to offer.

Colonel Hilton of the Army ROTC said the program seeks to train lieutenants and commissioned officers for the army. Commissioned officers formally earn a rank in the military.

Among 35 Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine ROTC officers who were commissioned by Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker on April 29, was second lieutenant Jessica Christel, who reflected on the influence that the University’s ROTC program had on her.

“ROTC has influenced not only my entire college experience, but has also shaped my entire life … When I started ROTC, I knew within three weeks that I wanted to sign that contract and stay in it for good,” says Christel.

Recent Air Force ROTC graduate Katherine Mcnerney described the toughness of the ROTC program.

“ROTC demands a lot from the cadets, and when you meet goals you achieve a great sense of accomplishment.”

In order to start the program a student must meet some physical requirements, including general good health and the ability to participate in outdoor activities.

In order to receive a scholarship, or be commissioned, the student has to pass the Army-physical and the fitness test. The same requirements hold for other branches of the military with a few minor differences in the physical.

A lot of emphasis is placed on being physically fit for the service and to develop leadership in the ROTC, but, according to Christel, academics are an ROTC student’s top priority.

“If I found myself in a position where I needed to step back and focus on schoolwork, the cadre were always more than willing to help out or let me lay low for a few days so I could get done what I needed to get done,” she said.

“In ROTC, academics always come first.”

Mcnerney echoed Christel’s sentiments.

“(ROTC) demands a lot, but they give the resources needed to get the job done,” Mcnerney said.

For those students that complete the ROTC program, graduation can be a very exciting time. However, most ROTC graduates find the real accomplishment to be the commissioning ceremony rather than the actual University convocation.

“The day of my commissioning was the single most important day in my entire life. I worked really, really hard to earn my commission, and I overcame a lot of obstacles, so that made it even more rewarding,” said Christel.

Mcnerney added: “I was more excited for being commissioned as an air force officer than actually graduating (from the University).”