To meet the high demand for lower-level language courses, the Department of Romance Languages has overhauled its registration process for the next term by eliminating waitlists and opening up more sections.

By opening new sections of lower-level classes during the registration period, the initiative will make popular courses like Spanish 101 more accessible to students with late registration dates.

If students do not receive admission to the upper level sections they want to attend, they will be able to sit in on the first day of class and request that the professor give them a seat.

LSA freshman Ali Acosta, who is currently taking three language courses, applauded the department’s changes.

“Because I am a freshman and obviously other people have priority over me, I think it’s important that I can get in, especially because I have such an interest in language.”

Acosta said she believes the department’s new policy will prompt eager students to go after the courses they want.

“Now that people have to be watching, they are going to be more involved in the class and really want to be there, so that will create a better atmosphere for the class.”

The changes to the registration process are different for upper-level and lower-level language courses, but all students will be able to avoid waitlists. Under the previous system, if a class filled up and a student dropped out, the vacancy was not available to students on the waitlist. Now, if a seat opens up in a section, students can scurry to grab it on Wolverine Access.

“(LSA) is committed to maximizing access for all students to the course offerings that they most want,” said Math Prof. Philip Hanlon, associate dean of planning and finance for LSA. “This becomes a particular challenge in large multi-section classes that are enrolled predominantly by first-year students.”

But the frustration accompanying registration is also felt by older students, Rackham student Ardy Muawin said after being waitlisted for one of his fall classes

“When you’re waitlisted, you tend to pull out of the class because you don’t know whether you’re going to get in or not,” Rackham student Ardy Muawin said. “I was like number 37 or something. I wish that the school offered more classes.”

The Department of Romance Languages is not the first to adopt this registration scheme. A Department of Mathematics official said the language faculty modeled their new system partly after his department’s process for getting classes.

“As far as spots, that problem is not unique to the Romance Language Department,” Associate University Registrar Kortney Briske said. In fact, registration for romance language classes used to operate without waitlists, but “frequently the class availability is based primarily on revenue,” she said.