Earlier this week, Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis said he expected Michigan junior Carlos Brown to play quarterback Saturday.

BEN SIMON/Daily

When asked whether Brown would play quarterback against Notre Dame, Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez didn’t offer a definitive answer.

“I don’t know,” Rodriguez said. “We wanted to get Carlos more into the game in the first game. He would have played more snaps, but he got hurt on his first one.”

Brown, who was a quarterback in high school but has played mostly at running back for Michigan, took just one snap against Utah. He lined up at quarterback and ran with the ball.

Rodriguez said the quarterback rotation between redshirt sophomore Nick Sheridan and redshirt freshman Steven Threet will be the same as last week.

Threet is expected to start the game, but Sheridan is likely to see the field.

Ferrara to play?: Despite being listed as a possible starter at right guard since the release of the first two-deep roster, redshirt sophomore John Ferrara hasn’t seen the field since moving from defensive tackle late in fall camp.

Rodriguez said Ferrara will “probably” play Saturday at Notre Dame. If he does, redshirt junior right guard David Moosman will likely slide to center and replace redshirt freshman center David Molk.

Ferrara said he would’ve played last Saturday against Miami (Ohio) if the Wolverines had a better offensive rhythm.

“(Offensive line coach Greg) Frey just keeps telling us, ‘The time’s going to come when we’re going to need to call on you,’ and he just wants me to be ready,” Ferrara said Saturday. “He doesn’t want to set me up for failure by putting me out there when I really don’t know everything, all the nuances of the offense right now.”

Ferrara said learning his new position is going well, but he needs to work on picking up blitzes.

Injury Update: Before the season, depth on the offensive line was already a concern for Michigan. Then, over the summer, the Wolverines lost two starters, redshirt junior Cory Zirbel and redshirt freshman Mark Huyge to long-term injuries.

It got worse against Miami when left tackle Mark Ortmann went down with an elbow injury.

Yesterday, Rodriguez confirmed that Ortmann will miss Saturday’s game at Notre Dame. Redshirt sophomore Bryant Nowicki filled in for Ortmann last week, but Rodriguez said he expects redshirt sophomore Perry Dorrestein to start at left tackle against the Fighting Irish.

Dorrestein has yet to play this season but appeared in four games last year.

Aside from Ortmann, Rodriguez expects all players with recent injuries to be available Saturday.

Junior wide receiver Greg Mathews missed the Miami game with a right foot injury. He wore a green jersey at practice yesterday with tape around his right ankle, but Rodriguez said Mathews would play.

Other players wearing green jerseys at practice were freshman running back Michael Shaw, sophomore wide receiver Junior Hemingway and redshirt sophomore right tackle Steven Schilling. Nobody on the defense wore a green jersey.

Players of the game: Three posters were on display in a hallway at Schembechler Hall for each of the three players of the game against Miami — freshman running back Sam McGuffie (offense), senior strong safety Brandon Harrsion (defense) and redshirt junior punter Zoltan Mesko (special teams).

McGuffie led the team with 74 yards on 17 carries. He also had three catches for 32 yards.

Harrison had eight tackles (five solo) and broke up two passes, including one in the end zone when the RedHawk receiver had the ball in his hands.

Mesko had seven punts for 318 yards, an average of 45.4 yards per kick. His long was 56 yards, and he dropped three inside the 20-yard line.