When selecting music for his films, director Wes Anderson traipses through the annals of rock history to find obscure and catchy songs to compliment his quirky characters.

You won”t find Top 40 tracks from current crotch rockers Creed, Matchbox 20, or the Dave Matthews Band that”s not his style. Instead you might hear a song from The Proclaimers or Oliver Onions. Who? Exactly.

Composer Mark Mothersbraugh provides a score as unconventional as the songs themselves. Mothersbraugh was a founding member of the underground avant-garde band Devo, better known as the guys who wore red flower pots on their heads. Ironically he and his bandmates used to sport yellow jumpsuits, as do the characters in “Bottle Rocket.”

“When we made the movie, a composer wasn”t attached yet, so the yellow jumpsuit thing was just luck,” Anderson said in an interview with the official “Bottle Rocket” website. “He came to a screening and seemed to really get the movie and he contacted us about doing the score.”

Mothersbraugh”s score has an upbeat punch to it, a style he returned to for “Rushmore.” The subtleties in his compositions reflect the subdued personas of the characters, often played quietly behind the dialogue of the film. The tracks are brief, most only a minute long, yet accent the scenes in the film to utter perfection.

Although the “Bottle Rocket” soundtrack is a masterful blend of Mothersbraugh”s score and “60s classics, unfortunately the soundtrack does not include some of the more memorable songs in the film, The Rolling Stones” “2000 Man,” Love”s “Alone again or” and “7 & 7 is.” Nevertheless, the “Bottle Rocket” soundtrack is a worthy addition for those who appreciate the music from “Rushmore” and “The Royal Tenenbaums.”