In the midst of immense national talk of direct military action against Iraq, many Iraqi students at the University are finding themselves torn between a desire for change in their homeland and fear for the lives of their families and loved ones.

“We all felt helpless during Sept. 11, and I am sure that people in Iraq feel the same way,” LSA freshman Sayf Al-Katib said. “I do think that (Saddam Hussein) needs to be replaced, but I must ask, ‘At what cost?'”

Al-Katib’s parents came to the United States as students from Iraq in the mid-’70s, and though they originally planned to return, were not able due to the outbreak of war between Iraq and Iran.

Al-Katib visited Iraq once in 1995.

“I didn’t know what to expect because I was so young, but I got the impression that there was this sadness about the people. … The economic sanctions are one of the most oppressive forces keeping Iraq from recovery,” Al-Katib said. “The spirit of the people is still strong.”

Though LSA sophomore Duna Raoof has never traveled to Iraq, her entire extended family lives there and she lived in Saudi Arabia for 13 years. “My parents visited last April for the first time in 23 years. They said it was awful. We hear the same things from our relatives,” Raoof said.

Al-Katib also said that he saw people in Iraq working for pitiful wages, but continuing to struggle under economic and social hardship. “Saddam Hussein abuses his people,” Al-Katib said. “He is a corrupt ruler that values power and wealth more than the welfare of his people.”

“With all the economic sanctions, (he) is still living an extravagant life. … I’ve heard a lot of people say ‘Saddam Hussein has been in power for 20 years; why haven’t the people revolted?’ It is because there is a fear in people for their families,” he added.

While Al-Katib said there is no doubt that Hussein’s regime needs to be replaced, he questions whether war is the best option. “In all the debate, I’ve never heard ‘What’s best for the Iraqi people?'”

Raoof shares similar doubts.

“We want the United States to take action, but we have emotional ties to the people that live there,” Raoof said. “I prefer they do things without military action.”

Al-Katib also said he feels that haste would be a grave error.

“I think that one of the most dangerous actions is rushing into war,” Al-Katib said. “It would be ridiculous to go in before the inspectors or gaining support from the U.N. and international community. Besides, it would support the international opinion of the U.S. as a bully.”

While Raoof and Al-Katib have concern for the safety of their loved ones and enmity for Hussein’s regime, neither is sure of how to resolve the problem.

“There definitely needs to be a change from the outside,” Raoof said. “It’s been like this for a long time. Someone needs to do something soon.”

“My support for the war would be determined by the U.S.’s motivations. … The main and only objective should be to get rid of Saddam Hussein,” Al-Katib said. “I would want a government in which the people are in control of what they want, not what is forced upon them – either by a foreign country or by a power or person within the country.”

Raoof said in spite of all the protest and confusion, she still trusts the U.S. government. “I do trust Bush,” Raoof said. “That’s why we live here, because we believe in democracy. That’s why we don’t live in Arabic countries.”