Led by strong performances from freshman Yugene Lin and senior Min Yean Tan, the Michigan women’s golf team finished third in a 17-team field this past weekend during its spring break tournament at the Rio Verde Invitational in Rio Verde, Ariz.

Lin shot a career-best 70 in the first round and finished in a tie for sixth — her first ever top-10 finish. Lin shot a 224 — her career best in a 54-hole tournament — and was in contention to win the individual title for most of the tournament.

Tan, Michigan’s senior standout, shot a 231 and finished in a tie for 19th.

The young Wolverine squad showed its resiliency this weekend when it was forced to compete without No. 2 player Meagan Bauer, who was sent home along with teammate and sister Shana Bauer after the tragic passing of their grandfather.

Despite having to fill an important void in its roster and cope with the loss of one of the team’s biggest fans, the Wolverines finished just three strokes behind eventual invitational champion Eastern Michigan.

“The girls played inspired this weekend,” Michigan coach Cheryl Stacy said. “They wanted to play for (Meagan’s and Shana’s) grandfather and they really played their hearts out.”

The tournament came down to the last round and the Wolverines stayed in contention until the very end, when they were barely edged out by the Eagles and eventual runner up Northern Arizona.

The Wolverines were helped by solid performances from freshman Alyssa Shimel, who finished 26th and shot a 233, and sophomore Caramia Sitompul, who finished tied for 27th and shot a 234. Bauer’s replacement, senior Louisa Shu, performed admirably and finished tied for 51st with a 239.

Though the team was disappointed to lose a tournament it had won last year and was expecting to win this year, Stacy expressed optimism about the future of her young team and commended them on maintaining focus despite an emotionally-draining week.

“We wanted to win and shoot under 300 (each round), but we’re a young team and we’re showing promise,” Stacy said. “It’s been up and down this year, and considering the circumstances, overall I thought we did okay.”

The Wolverines have a few weeks off and will compete March 21-22 in the John Kirk/Panther invitational in Stockbridge, Georgia.