Although “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring” failed to win any Golden Globes awards Sunday night, the epic fantasy film crossed the $250 million mark in the U.S. box office this week. The film has become one of the top 20 highest grossing films of all time in only five weeks.

New Line Cinema, the film”s distributor, is already looking toward the future of the franchise and the release of the second film in the series, “The Two Towers.” With the DVD release of “The Fellowship of the Ring” at least six months away, fans are clamoring for new footage of the upcoming “Two Towers.”

David Tuckerman, distribution president of New Line Cinema, stated “We”re going to give (audiences) a preview of (“Two Towers”).We”re going to change the last reel out and do a preview of “Two Towers” at the end of the last reel. (Audiences) are screaming for it.”

With Academy Award nominations coming soon, New Line is going to wait until March to release the new material. Tuckerman added, “I”m sure (it would be) after the Oscars are voted and ballots are done. I”m pretty certain we”ll end up doing it.”

“The Two Towers” is scheduled to be released theatrically in December of 2002, while “The Return of the King” is set for a December 2003 release.