On Friday, University Regent Andrew Richner (R–Grosse Pointe Park) corrected a clerical error in his election committee’s 2010 and 2012 annual campaign statements that had been outstanding since February.

On Feb. 14, Richner’s committee was sent a notice from the Michigan Secretary of State that explained that the committee’s beginning balance of its most recent campaign statement did not match the previous campaign statement’s ending balance.

The beginning balance was listed as $22,451.07, but the previous statement’s ending balance was $33,890.11 according to the notice. The notice asked for amendments to the statements “due in this office no later than February 28, 2012” and was sent again to the committee on May 24.

In a Thursday interview with The Michigan Daily, Secretary of State spokesman Fred Woodhams verified that the committee “does owe additional information to the department.”

“There are no fines for not filing or not responding to an error of omission notice, but potentially … if one is not received, it could be referred to the Attorney General’s office,” Woodhams said. However, Woodhams added that bringing up the issue with the Attorney General does not necessarily mean there would be prosecution.

Woodhams declined to comment on the severity of the issue and said the notice was simply in need of a correction.

“If you look at the error of omission notice, it’s just looking for some clarification on the dates and adjusting it,” he said.

In an interview with Richner on Thursday, Richner said he was unaware of any discrepancies in his committee’s campaign statements. After taking a look at the notice, which is publicly available online through the Secretary of State website, Richner said the omission was an unintentional foible that he intended to fix.

“It was clearly just a mistake,” Richner said. “We do have to clear that up. We’ll do it right away.”

One day later, the situation had been corrected. In an interview with the Daily on Friday, Richner explained that the approximately $10,000 discrepancy was a mistake.

“(It was) an expenditure that was counted as a receipt twice basically. It was double counted,” he said. “That’s why the balances didn’t jive.”

The mistake, which required changing the 2010 campaign statement’s ending balance to $23,890.11 from $33,890.11, was partially the fault of the software used to submit the campaign statement, Richner said.

“I think the software was responsible for the mistake because of the way that the data is entered and it is misleading,” Richner said. “So I think it was an understandable mistake that my bookkeeper made and we fixed it.”

“I spent considerable time trying to work through the software glitch.”

Richner said he was unaware of attempts by the Secretary of State to contact his committee.

In the end, the corrections to the campaign statements resulted in the 2012 campaign statement’s ending balance changing from $22,115.07 to $23,554.11