Material lessens sweat of athletes

Athletic clothes may feel drier after working out because of new fiber within the fabric and a new film-covering, according to researchers at Clemson University.

The Capillary Channel Film and Fiber Technology, which was donated to the school by Proctor and Gamble, uses new micro-capillary grooves within the clothing material for better sweat absorption.

The grooves may also be applied to other products like those used for feminine hygiene, adult incontinence and baby diapers.

Researchers said the grooves may also trap foreign particles within air-filtration systems and may be helpful in the delivery of antibiotics through bandages on wounds.

Emotional section of brain makes rational decisions

Though emotional times do not always lend themselves to rational decisions, a researcher at the University of Washington said it is the emotional section of the brain that makes these types of choices.

Each time a person makes a decision, he or she needs to feel the possible emotional outcomes of each choice, according to a recent press release. The person will eventually chose the path that yields the most positive feeling.

Dean Shibata, assistant professor of radiology at Washington, originally conducted the study at the University of Rochester.

Shibata examined the neurological response of 11 people to a series of personal and impersonal questions using functional magnetic resonance imaging. He found that the answers to the two different types of questions were elicited from two completely different areas of the brain, both linked to emotion.

Device warns of poor air quality

A new bracelet-sized device created by engineers at Washington University in St. Louis may warn people of poor air quality surrounding them.

The device, called the Nanometer Differential Mobility Analyzer, was designed by mechanical engineer Da-Ran Chen, who recently received a U.S. patent on a larger devise with the same purpose.

Rather than just recording larger air contaminants, Chen”s device also picks up smaller air particle, or aerosols, which are only nanometers in size. These seem to be the most dangerous to the health of people because they are invisible to the naked eye, according to a recent press release.

To increase the effectiveness of his device, Chen created a machine that charges each of the nanoparticles. This device charges 40 percent of particles in the 3 nanomater range and 100 percent of those in the seven meter range.

Study finds sleep apnea is more common in males

The causes of sleep apnea, a common disorder, may be highly affected by gender hormones, according to researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison”s School of Veterinary Medicine.

Sleep apnea affects 18 million Americans, mainly middle-aged men, and is typically characterized by the tongue blocking the airway during sleep. This causes the supply of oxygen to the body to decrease, a situation also known as hypoxia.

By monitoring the response of rats of both sexes to oxygen deprivation, research scientists found that the responses of each gender greatly differed.

In a previous study, younger generations of male rats increased the depth and frequency of their breaths in response to hypoxia, whereas older males didn”t compensate as much. Older female rats also compensated for the oxygen depravation to protect themselves.

Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Lisa Hoffman.