Beginning Saturday, residents in six dorms across campus should expect to see significant changes in their local Information Resource Centers.

The Residence Hall Association passed a resolution Monday declaring that the IRCs located in Bera Baits Houses, Helen Newberry, Couzens, Oxford Housing, and South Quad will extend their hours this semester. The decision was a result of student requests for hours on Saturday to rent videos and books.

The IRCs will now be open from 5 p.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday and from 4 to 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.

Previously, libraries were closed on Saturdays but opened at 4 p.m. during the rest of the week.

RHA President Tim Winslow explained that the new hours would be in effect for a trial run this semester. “I think that this is something that the residents will want and hopefully next year we can make it permanent,” he said.

However, not all the IRCs are extending their hours. Winslow said six dorms volunteered for the trial run because they were most easily able to change their hours. If many students make use of the Saturday hours, there is a possibility that all the libraries will change their hours next year.

Meghann Stricker, a library assistant at Couzens, said there had also been a plan to keep the computer lab there open later than midnight. But because the librarians recorded the number of people who entered the lab every half hour and found that the lab emptied out at about 11:30 p.m., the hours remained unchanged. “The librarians shouldn’t have to wait to close or get paid for those hours when there isn’t anyone using the facilities,” Stricker said.

A group of Betsey Barbour residents said they are pleased with the Barbour-Newberry library’s extended hours.

“It’s really nice if we want to rent movies or check out books,” LSA freshman Beth Fitzgerald said.

LSA freshman Sarah Vanderkooi agreed, adding, “No one does work until Sunday, so renting movies on Saturday is one way to relax.”

While most of the students agreed that the library stays open long enough, LSA freshman Zeenah Khader had a different opinion. “For students who don’t begin work on papers until 12, the idea of extended hours after midnight would be appealing, especially if they wouldn’t want to walk to one of the University libraries at night,” she said.