With 4:44 to go …

o Michigan quarterback John Navarre hits backup quarterback-turned-wide receiver Jermaine Gonzales with a 20-yard touchdown pass, giving the Wolverines a 24-20 lead. The play is set up by reverse-specialist Calvin Bell, after Michigan State quarterback Jeff Smoker fumbled to give the Wolverines the ball on the Spartan 38-yard line.

With 2:09 to go …

o Michigan’s Hayden Epstein, deep in his own territory, releases a 28-yard punt that gives Michigan State the ball on the Wolverines’ 44-yard line. Hindered by two of Michigan’s school record 12 sacks, the Spartans face a 4th-and-16. Smoker’s pass is incomplete, but Michigan cornerback Jeremy LeSueur gets a personal foul for a face mask, rejuvinating the Spartan comeback.

With 17 seconds to go …

o After a fourth down conversion, the Spartans have the ball on the Michigan 4-yard line. On second down, Smoker rolls right and sprints to the end zone, getting stopped on the two. Out of timeouts, a frantic Michigan State effort to spike the ball and stop the clock is successful, leaving one second on the clock.

With 1 second to go …

o Smoker again rolls to his right under pressure, and lofts a floater that hangs in the air for an eternity before safely landing in the hands of tailback T.J. Duckett, triggering euphoria at Spartan Stadium.