The University Board of Regents approved a proposal from the School of Art & Design for a new degree program. The degree will allow students in the School of Art & Design to elect a second concentration in other schools and colleges. It will also allow students to transfer into the School of Art & Design after their sophomore year.

University Provost Teresa Sullivan said the program was an important addition for art school students.

“Because art funding has been cut back at so many high schools, many students enter the university without a portfolio and cannot apply to Art and Design,” she said. “This program offers students the opportunity to build their portfolio (during) their freshman and sophomore years and then transfer.”

University President Mary Sue Coleman expressed her support for the degree.

“It’s really a good idea, and I think it’s going to be a very popular program,” she said.

Regent Julia Darlow (D—Ann Arbor) congratulated the School of Art and Design on their work toward the new program.

“It’s really special and would be wonderful for the school,” Darlow said.

Google co-founder to receive honorary degree

The regents approved a proposal to award Larry Page, co-founder of Google, Inc., an honorary doctorate in engineering at spring commencement on May 2. Page will be the keynote speaker at the ceremony.

Coleman said Page, president of products at Google, has accomplished a great deal since he graduated from the University in 1995.

“Celebrating the accomplishments of the class of 2009 will be all the more special with Larry Page as our speaker,” she said. “In a relatively short period since his own graduation from Michigan, he has made a meaningful and lasting contribution to society.”

President’s fundraising challenge issued

Jerry May, Vice President for Development, announced a fundraising challenge to raise money for study abroad programs. May said money raised from the campaign will go toward “enriching the international opportunity for our students.”

Coleman will match donated funds. The challenge began Jan. 1 when Coleman contributed $25,000 to the campaign. The President’s Fund will contribute 50 cents for every dollar that is donated up to $5 million.